cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nat-translation from Outside to Inside on ASA?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

If I have the below, hosts trying to reach this subnet from Outside are automatically untranslated correct?:
object network Natted_Hosts
subnet 200.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
nat (any,outside) dynamic interface

10 Replies 10

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight
Hi There,
The NAT you have configured above will PAT 200.10.10.0 /24 to your Outside Interface IP for traffic leaving Outside interface.

Return traffic flows would be "unpatted" and allowed. No one from the Outside would be able to initiate a connection to the 200.10.10.0/24 based on the provided NAT alone.

Yes meaning I would just put a statement on OUTSIDE ACL allowing the subnets I want allowed to the REAL 200.10.10.0 IP correct?

Hi, 

For that NAT (Dynamic) this is unidirectional. If you wanted hosts accessible to the Outside you would need to setup a static NAT which is bidirectional. You would also as you say need relevant ACL entries allowing traffic.

I'm assuming you don't want a whole /24 accessible to the Outside? If you only have 1 public IP available, e.g your Outside interface then you could setup port forwarding for various hosts on your Inside network. 

yes I need the whole subnet accessible from certain subnets on the Outside. SO change the "dynamic" to "Static" in my statement?

I am also getting "Assymetric NAT rules matched for forward and reverse flows" in the logs.

Wasn't aware there were other NATs etc.. 

Might be best posting a santised config and what it is you're trying to achieve and I'm sure we can provide some advice. 

kindly please if possible to upload the config in order to help you.

please do not forget to rate.

Hi my friend actually a no NAT rule for the subnets had to be configured.

you might have many nat rules in place if we suggest you one it could break the other functional nat. from above post i see you want to allow a whole subnet to be access able from outside. curious if you have any spare public ip addresses. as landing/coming from outside to mapping to (if you have a single ip address) your interested subnet is not a good practice.

however, you can change the ip addresses if you thing they are sensitive. remember we are here to help. and give you a good advise to make things works where you get stuck :)

as you have a dynamic rule in your nat. you need to change this to static. as mentioned earlier by GRANT

I wont recommand this to you but unless you do not have any public ip addresses. but here is the config like are

!

Object network BlackBelt

subnet 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0

!

nat (inside,outside) 1 source static BlackBelt interface

!

access-list outside_in exten permit tcp any subnet 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 eq https (or)

access-list outside_in exten permit tcp any object BlackBelt eq https

!

access-group outside_in in interface outside

!

you need to narrow down what protocol in regards to transport layer need to be access from outside to your inside(interested) subnet.

please do not forget to rate.

Awesome thanks!

Yes there are many NAT rules which was causing the conflict.
No I don't have any other public IPs to use.

I am a bit confused about this statement "as landing/coming from outside to mapping to (if you have a single ip address) your interested subnet is not a good practice." You meaning coming to the real IP addresses/subnet of internal hosts?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card