Views
Helpful
Replies

New ASA-5505 security device - not able to connect to the device

rchakma2013
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I'm a complete newbi here. I would need your kind help please. I'm trying to setup my new ASA-5505 firewall version 8.2 with ASDM. I was following the step by step instructions from the "Quick Start Guide" which came from Cisco with the device. When it comes to step-5: Launching ASDM (which says - Launch a web browser and enter the URL -http://192.168.1.1/admin), unfortunately I can't get any response - it just does nothing. I tried to ping the 192.168.1.1 from my PC, it fails. I connected the ASA's console  to my PC's serial port, and tried get a CLI prompt, it displays nothing.

The ASA-5505 is powered up and the LEDs are blinking. I've no idea what is the wrong with. Please help me as soon as possible. I'll be very grateful to your kind support. I look forward to your response/support/help.

Rana

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Which port your PC is connected to the ASA? Use any port other than Eth0 and use http:// instead.

What LED light/s that's blinking?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you for your kind help. The problem has now been resolved. I tried on the second day, and changed the cable. It started working fine after that. The ASA was not used for more than a year. I think - it was taking to respond, or the eth cable was faulty.

Once again, thank you so much for your answer.

is this a new or used ASA?

when you connected your PC to the ASA port, which port did you connect it to? As John has mentioned it must be a port other than eth0

Once you connected your PC to the port did you make sure that your PC received an IP?  If it did receive an IP and was this IP within the range you expected?  Try connecting to the default gateway IP that shows up in your ipconfig output.

make sure you have the following settings set correctly on your terminal emulator when connecting using the serial cable:

Baud rate: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: none

You might have to press enter a couple times for the prompt to display once you connect.

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card