cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New ASA 5510 causing corrupt emails

julangeli
Level 1
Level 1

We installed a new ASA 5510 (ver 8.3(1)) on the weekend and since then have had one isolated email issue.

Here is the situation. We have a remote office that connects to us via IPsec site-to-site tunnel. They remote in to one of our servers and from that server email themselves PDF's. They have their own exchange server for general use, but the emails sent from our server go through our exchange server of course. The received email shows the user as the sender AND receiver. This previously worked fine.

Since installing the ASA though, users get the following error when they try to open the document:

"There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

They tried this with a text file and the same thing occured.

I have disabled SMTP inspection and have omitted the remote office from the CSC SSM scanning. This has not helped. The remote office also has an ASA 5510 (ver 8.2) but no changes were made this weekend. No updates were applied to Exchange this weekend.

Previously my office was using a Cisco 1800, Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 and Untangle gateway box. I replaced all 3 with the ASA (note: I'm fairly new to this position and that was one of the first things I knew had to happen!).

I'm at a loss as to what to do to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to add one other point. My supervisor is currently at this remote location and he can still email himself attachments from that particular server with no problem through the tunnel.

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So, is there a problem now or not? You say this bellow so, this is working? Or working for other attachments just not PDFs? or only affecting some users and not your supervisor?

EDIT: Forgot to add one other point. My supervisor is currently at this  remote location and he can still email himself attachments from that  particular server with no problem through the tunnel. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/expert-corner#view=webcasts

Upcoming Live Webcast in English: January 15, 2013
Troubleshooting ASA and Firewall Service Modules

Register today: http://tools.cisco.com/squish/42F25

-Kureli

Sorry, I realize now that that last update was a bit confusing. It only works for him because his email is a part of our exchange server/domain. The remote office has their own, separate, exchange server/domain.

Everything works for users who belong to my company's domain but not for those who belong to the remote office's domain. PDF's and .txt files were both tested, and both were not working for the remote office's domain only. And yes, for that server that exists on the head office's domain, it still sends mail as "@remoteoffice.com" for the remote users.

I hope that clears things up. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card