cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No VPN wizard functionality

christophermann
Level 1
Level 1

i am currently looking at the suitability of replacing an 'airbreak' firewall with 2 new ASA 5505'S.

One stipulation i have is that i require to connect the third party that is currently using the 'airbreak' solution using a secure iPsec VPN.

I have both 5505's that were supplied by the third party, but i believe i may need a new fireware upgrade

I am using ASDM 6.4.XX and the ASA's have firmware 8.4(2) and a basic licence.

Am i correct in assuming that the VPN wizard functionality is missing because of th firmware installed currently on both of the ASA's? or am i looking in the wrong place?

i have done a fair amount of research an can see earlier versions of ASDM wit the VPN wizzard so can only assume it is down to the firmware.

i see that the latest version for the ASA 5505's is 8.4.4 and was wondering if this will provide me with the functionality i require as it does mention in the documentation that it does support the clientless VPN options.

Can anybody also confirm what part number

ASA5505-BUN-K9 relates too in relation to firmware for the ASA's?

As you can see i am new to the Firewall side of things and want to get this one right

Kind regards

Chris Mann

Product Name

Part Number

Cisco ASA 5500 Series Firewall Edition Bundles

Cisco ASA 5505 10-User Bundle includes 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, 10 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, Triple Data Encryption Standard/Advanced Encryption Standard (3DES/AES) license

ASA5505-BUN-K9

Cisco ASA 5505 10-User Bundle includes 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, 10 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, Data Encryption Standard (DES) license

ASA5505-K8

Cisco ASA 5505 50-User Bundle includes 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, 10 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, 3DES/AES license

ASA5505-50-BUN-K9

Cisco ASA 5505 Unlimited-User Bundle includes 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, 10 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, 3DES/AES license

ASA5505-UL-BUN-K9

Cisco ASA 5505 Unlimited-User Security Plus Bundle includes 8-port Fast Ethernet switch, 25 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, DMZ, stateless Active/Standby high availability, 3DES/AES license

ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9

5 Replies 5

If you have an ASA5505-BUN-K9 with version 8.4(2), then there should be the VPN-wizard available. What is there in the "Wizards"-menu of your ASDM?

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Karsten,

thanks for taking the time to reply, i do appreciate it.

not sure if i have the BUN-K9 or not, but on the bottom of both of the ASA's it reads ASA5505-V8?

The reason i ask about the BUN-K9 is that i do know about the security side of things as to regards to the K9 Tag for the firmware releases and thought this might be what i need but am unsure what the BUN-K9 relates too.

thanks again

Chris

the "k9" relates to the encryption that you really want to have for VPN ... ;-)

Plese paste a "show version" from the command-line.

if the following line is not there:

VPN-3DES-AES                      : Enabled        perpetual

then go to http://www.cisco.com/go/license and enter your serial-number to get a free 3DES/AES-license:

On that page you find it under "Get new" -> "IPS, Crypto ..." -> Security-Products -> Cisco ASA 3DES/AES License.

EDIT: And it's not the Tools-Menu, right to the Tools is the "Wizards"-menu

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Karsten,

Thanks for the information. you are right it is in the Wizards menu, im currently at home and was trying to remember the exact location

as for the

VPN-3DES-AES                      : Enabled        perpetual

I can remember looking at the licence details on the ASA and dont remember seeing that line so thats a good place to start.

Ill give that a go tomorrow when im back in work, thanks very much for your help

Chris

....Sorry forgot to add that i when i select the 'Tools' option there is now VPN wizzard option or any reference to VPN's

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card