cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Objects in NAT Statements still appear as DM_INLINE

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

So I have NAT config statements on ASA but the objects I have entered (configured via ASDM) show up in the running config as DM_INLINE still. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,
When an object is created via ADSM, the name will automatically be prefixed with DM_INLINE. This does not apply if you configure the objects via the CLI

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,
When an object is created via ADSM, the name will automatically be prefixed with DM_INLINE. This does not apply if you configure the objects via the CLI

HTH

So it just references DM_INLINE and nothing for the Object I created e.g. 10.1.1.1._object. This is normal correct?

If you create the object first (using any name you wish) it will be then available to use when creating NAT rules (or referencing in other elements such as ACLs). That makes the running-configuration as seen in the cli more human-readable. However the ASDM display just shows you the object name and you have to hover over it to see the constituent element(s) appear.

If you just add subnets, hosts etc. from the ASDM-based dialog box, then they will appear in the running-config as "DM_INLINE_XXX" (Device Manager Inline created objects). The ASDM GUI display them nicely as their constituent elements (without having to hover) since the computer does the work of looking up the cli object and parsing it for you.

Either method works equally well.

I guess I will always create the objects via CLI. I like the running config to match more what the ASDM shows.

ASDM will match cli config exactly if you create the object first (in either ASDM or cli and using any naming convention you wish) and then reference it in the other sections like nat rule and access-lists.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card