cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 515e V 6.3 throughput speed to Time Warner

dknudson007
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco PIx firewall that is connected to a cable modem with Time warner cable. I am supposed to have 35 down and 5 up for my speed on that modem. When I bypass the firewall and connect directly to the cable modem, I get download speeds in excess of 30 and upload speeds of about 5. However, when I connect via my workstation, which goes through the PIX, I am lucky to get speeds in the 1.2 for a download and 2-3.5 for the upload. I am using a laptop to test. We have gigabyte Cat5e cabling and gigabyte switches.

Below are statements from the config.

The interface lines are per below:

interface ethernet0 100full

interface ethernet1 100full

interface ethernet2 auto shutdown

MTU outside 1500

How can i adjust this so I can make use of the 30 speed of the modem??

thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Do you see any interface errors on the PIX's interface that connects to the cable modem? Have you tried setting the interface to auto negotiate instead of hard-coding it to 100/full?

-Mike

HI,

Thanks for looking at this. However, I am not sure what exactly fixed it. But its working now. I had tried to set the auto negotiating and it actually got worse!

I even had a second pix box that I put in its place to see if it was hardware related.No dice. same effect. Then I switched them back out but because at that momment nobody was using that gateway Ip address, (I had altered mine), I didnt notice that it never got turned back on. When I did so the next morning, I now have speeds in the 30mb range.

Go figure. Turning it on and off for the change over of the two pix boxes didnt seem to do anything. Leaving it off over night, it started working.

Thanks again.

dave

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card