Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX to ASA Migration Tool???

Zubair.Sayed_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Where can I obtain this tool please, I have checked the Cisco website but dont seem to find it.

I do have partner access and am able to download software.

Regards

Zubair

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yes! between each versions there are some very small changes, like subcommands renamed-replaced,etc.

During the migration use the same version and then you can upgrade on the ASA whatever version you want.

Here are the release notes if you want to check the versions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

View solution in original post

tomsutherland
Level 1
Level 1

the actual pix to asa tool is quite hard to find, but it is still there:

Follow the selections   SECURITY > FIREWALL > FIREWALL APPLIANCES > CISCO PIX FIREWALL SOFTWARE > CISCO PIX FIREWALL VERSION 4.4

Expand the folder for '1', click on '1.0'.   Pix to ASA converter is listed here.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Adam Makovecz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

what is your PIX and ASA version? if you do upgrades, it does automatically. Otherwise you just can copy and paste the configuration.

Be carefull about the major steps, like 6.3->7.0 or 8.2->8.3

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reply.

See below version:

Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(4)

Device Manager Version 6.1(5)

The ASA's are due to arrive shortly so I dont have the versions yet.

Thanks

Z

In this case, you jsut have to take care of the real interface names, and upgrade the ASA for the same version or 8.0.5. If the interface names are diffrent or you ordered ASA5505, edit the config manually with a text editor, then you can copy and paste the configuration.

So basically what you saying is I take the "text config" from the PIX and paste this "text config" into the ASA.

But they have to be on the same software versions, is that what you saying??

We would like the ASA to have the latest version??

yes! between each versions there are some very small changes, like subcommands renamed-replaced,etc.

During the migration use the same version and then you can upgrade on the ASA whatever version you want.

Here are the release notes if you want to check the versions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

Thanks Adam. Marked your reply as correct.

Regards

ZS

tomsutherland
Level 1
Level 1

the actual pix to asa tool is quite hard to find, but it is still there:

Follow the selections   SECURITY > FIREWALL > FIREWALL APPLIANCES > CISCO PIX FIREWALL SOFTWARE > CISCO PIX FIREWALL VERSION 4.4

Expand the folder for '1', click on '1.0'.   Pix to ASA converter is listed here.

Thanks Tom. Found the tool....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card