Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem booting a ASA (9.0) config file from disk1

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco web site state:

By default, the ASA boots from a startup configuration that is a hidden file. You can alternatively set any configuration to be the startup configuration by entering the following command:

hostname(config)# boot config {disk0:/ | disk1:/}[path/]filename

When I set that command, wr mem, and reload the ASA, it does not come up with the correct config.
It comes up with the old config, and it also zero outs the relevant file on my disk1.

config reg is set to 0x1.

What am I missing?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jimmyc_2,

First copy the running config file into disk0/1/or any path you want and then do boot config command as below.

copy run disk0:/.private/startup-config
boot config disk0:/.private/startup-config
wr mem

i think the boot config commands changes the path where ASA can extract the start-up config file by default it will load from hidden file but if you change it during booting it will load from the place where you explicitly defined.

HTH

Murali.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What happens if you try to boot with the ASA disk0: ? Does the same issue happens ?

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Hi Vibhor,

That's worth a shot.

I'll try to copy the config file from disk1 to disk0, then inserting the "boot config flash:/Newconfig" into my running config.   If I do a "wr mem", that will save it to startup.confg.  

Here's the question:  If I do a reload, the ASA will grab the startup-config.   The startup-config has the command "boot config flash:/Newconfig", which means it has to abort the rest of the startup-config and launch a new config from flash.   Is that how it works?

Thanks.

Hi Jimmyc_2,

First copy the running config file into disk0/1/or any path you want and then do boot config command as below.

copy run disk0:/.private/startup-config
boot config disk0:/.private/startup-config
wr mem

i think the boot config commands changes the path where ASA can extract the start-up config file by default it will load from hidden file but if you change it during booting it will load from the place where you explicitly defined.

HTH

Murali.

Thank you Murali,

That is interesting, and not in any of my ASA books, at least I didn't see it.

You are asking me to copy NewConfig to startup-config prior to reload.  Not a problem, but my practical experience says I found a bug, or the documentation is wrong.  The documentation says:

By default, the ASA boots from a startup configuration that is a hidden file. You can alternatively set any configuration to be the startup configuration by entering the following command:

hostname(config)# boot config {disk0:/ | disk1:/}[path/]filename

The stated procedure works on a v8.4, but did not work on 9.0.

If I get time, I'll open a case with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: