Views
Helpful
Replies

Pros and Cons about using two interfaces on Stateful Failover

mrahman0302
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for some documentation about the pros and cons about using single interface vs. two interfaces when configuring stateful failover. I know

it is always best to keep the LAN-based failover and stateful failover data streams on separate interfaces. The stateful failover data stream is usually much larger than the LAN-based failover because of the usually large number of connections that come and go. In addition, LAN-based failover messages must be able to travel between the two units without being lost or delayed. Otherwise, the loss of LAN-based failover messages indicates that one or both units have failed. Is there any more deatails on this?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

brquinn
Level 1
Level 1

This issue is talked about in the Config Guide.

"Sharing a data interface with the Stateful Failover interface can leave  you vulnerable to replay attacks. Additionally, large amounts of  Stateful Failover traffic may be sent on the interface, causing  performance problems on that network segment."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/ha_overview.html#wp1077551

The short of it is that you don't want the ASA to start missing failover hellos because the interface too busy processing stateful failover traffic. The potential being false-positive failover events. I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks,

Brendan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card