cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Public IP Addresses

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

If you came into a place where you didn't know what external IPs were in use of the firewall, what would the approach be? 

I have a pc outside the firewall that I am using angry IP and nothing is responding. What are some rules I need within the firewall to allow things to reply to icmp requests?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i guess you dont have access to firewall itself otherwise you wont ask this question.

curious if the firewall external interface is connected to switch you can run a wireshark on your laptop to see what activity is going on.

go on laptop cmd and type arp -a

in firewall give command

icmp permit any

or similar like this

icmp permit host 172.16.2.15 echo-reply outside

icmp permit 172.22.1.0 255.255.0.0 echo-reply outside

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

i guess you dont have access to firewall itself otherwise you wont ask this question.

curious if the firewall external interface is connected to switch you can run a wireshark on your laptop to see what activity is going on.

go on laptop cmd and type arp -a

in firewall give command

icmp permit any

or similar like this

icmp permit host 172.16.2.15 echo-reply outside

icmp permit 172.22.1.0 255.255.0.0 echo-reply outside

I do have access but the normal way I would do this is a access-list outside_access_in permit icmp any any doesn't work. I think it was be denied upstream at the CE. So yes we have internet switches and Its probably going to be easiest to attach a laptop and mirror a port or something.

Glad I was helpful. You mind to rate if I was helpful.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card