Views
Helpful
Replies

Query with fw

ray_stone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts:

We have one Cisco ASA 5510 model connected with ISP router where-on the public IP pool is 1.1.1.0/24. 1.1.1.1 IP Address is assigned to ISP router interface and 1.1.1.2 IP Address is assigned to ASA outside interface.

We have now one additional router and we want to use the router to make a VPN connection which is connected with firewall second interface and router interface IP is 1.1.1.3. Now i want to do one thing that firewall, ISP router and router will communicate with each other, how it's possible. I don't have any additional device to place anywhere.

We need to achieve this among only there three devices.

1 Reply 1

Shrikant Sundaresh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ray,

I am not sure of the existing configuration on the firewall, but you might wanna look into setting the ASA in transparent mode. Transparent mode ASA running version 8.0.2 and above support NAT and PAT.

Here is some documentation on Transparent mode:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008089f467.shtml#backinfo

This way you could connect the ISP router to the ASA, and the ASA to the VPN router, with all of them having the same subnet ip address. If the ASA is currently in production, in routed mode, then you will have to schedule a downtime to set this all up.

The easier and better way, would be to have a hub or a switch, to which all 3 devices connect.

Hope this helps.

-Shrikant

P.S.: Please mark this question as answered if it has been resolved. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card