cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions - crypto key zeroize rsa

N3t W0rK3r
Level 3
Level 3

I would like to remove the Default-RSA-Key from my HA ASA 5525-X with FirePower, as it was only created with 1024 bits, but I have a few questions...

1. If I use the command "crypto key zeroize rsa" will all the keys get removed or just the default?  (I do not want to remove the other keys.)
  2. When I issue this command from within an SSH session, will my session get terminated?  If so, can this be done safely from the ASDM at all?
  3. We have an HA A/S pair, so will this change get replicated to the standby unit or do I need to manually run this command on the standby unit as well?
  4. Once the default key is removed, can the existing HSN_ASA key (see below) be used for SSH sessions?

Here are my current RSA keys:

asa/act# sh crypto key mypubkey rsa

Key pair was generated at: 08:10:21 EDT May 8 2018
Key name: <Default-RSA-Key>
Usage: General Purpose Key
Modulus Size (bits): 1024
Storage: config
Key Data:

Key pair was generated at: 14:48:38 EDT Aug 24 2018
Key name: HSN_ASA
Usage: General Purpose Key
Modulus Size (bits): 2048
Key Data:

Key pair was generated at: 14:57:49 EDT Aug 24 2018
Key name: HSN_ASA_ENC
Usage: Signature Key
Key Data:

Key pair was generated at: 14:57:49 EDT Aug 24 2018
Key name: HSN_ASA_ENC
Usage: Encryption Key
Key Data:

Key pair was generated at: 02:45:02 EDT Sep 6 2018
Key name: <Default-RSA-Key>.server
Usage: Encryption Key
Modulus Size (bits): 768
Key Data:

Thanks in advance.

John

2 Replies 2

Hi John,

Yes, using the command "crypto key zeroize rsa" will remove all keys. This affects keys marked "Storage: config" which yours are. You could use the command "crypto key zeroize rsa label XXXX" to delete a specfic key or "crypto key zerorize rsa default" for the default key.

Sorry I don't 100% know the answers to your other questions and don't have a lab to test, hopefully someone else can help you further.

HTH

Thanks for your reply.

So if I use the command crypto key zerorize rsa default to remove the defualt keys, I get the following warning...

WARNING: The default RSA key pair will be removed
WARNING: All device digital certificates issued using these keys will also be removed and
the associated trustpoints may not function correctly.

How can I check to see what certificates were issued with these keys so I can assess the impact to other services once the default keys are removed?

Thanks.

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card