cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering a PIX-515 (can't console or telnet in)

endonesia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an early model PIX-515 that hasn't been used in a long time but I want to get it working again in a lab environment.  I am at loss right now on how to get into it though. 

CONSOLE:

I've tried connecting from the PC's serial port to the units console port using Cisco's blue cable with no avail.  All I get is a cursor but no response.  I've tried using 9600,8,none,1,none as settings and I can sucessfully console a Cisco 1700 router with those same settings in Putty no problem, but it doesn't work with this Pix.   I've also tried using other possible common speeds like 1200,1400,4800,19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200 in case the firewall was set to use those and that didn't work either.

I am at a loss on why I can't connect over console.  Any ideas?

TELNET:

I've tried telnetting in, but I unfortunatly don't know any IP's of the interfaces on this unit.  I have tried telnetting to these common IP's on all of it's ionterfaces and changed my computers IP address to put it in the same subnet when I do it:

192.168.0.1-10,  192.168.0.100

192.168.1.1-10,  192.168.1.100

10.0.0.1-10, 10.0.0.100,

10.100.0.1-10, 10.100.0.100,

10.100.1.1-10, 10.100.1.100,

None of it's interfaces seem to be living at those IPs.   I didn't try the 172.16.x.x ranges, but both myself and the previous admin of this unit never use that subnet.

I've gone as far as putting this firewall and my PC on a basic switch and running a network analyzer on the PC just incase there's some network traffic giving some inside into the firewall's IP(s).

OTHER TROUBLESHOOTING/WEIRDNESS:

I know this firewall used to work and was working fine when I stashed it away for a year or two.  

I find it weird however that the Power LED does not light up even through it powers on and the fan spins up.   All other LED's like Network and individual LED's on interfaces work fine

NOW WHAT?

I know there's password retreival utilities out there, but I don't know how far I'd get if I can't even console or telnet into to it.  Is there any way I could reset it back to factory defaults?

What can I do to get back into this unit so it's more than just a paperweigh?

Thanks for any ideas.

-M

4 Replies 4

david.tran
Level 4
Level 4

Look like you have a dead device.  Time to pony up some $$$ and buy an ASA

Thanks for the reply.  That's what I'm beginning to be afraid of.  I've been searching the net all day on this and have nothing. 

I'd like to rule out the power supply becuase the fan runs and most of the device works.  I confirmed all the ram, cards, cables, etc are properly connected.

I researched the battery, but from the best of my understanding even if it were dead only the system clock and logs would be lost but the firewall would still be usable.

Tomorrow I want to get the ole' voltmeter out and measure the pins connected to the LED just to make sure it's not a bad LED light, but I doubt it.

The very odd thing is that if it died, it died all alone in a dark, room temperature closet attached to nothing. (not a networking closet, just a storage closed).

FYI:  my Pix firewalls died in the garage after I've not used it for 2 years.  The garage was kinda cold in the winter and hot in the summer so that might be why

sieand123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The question is already a few months old. But however, did you try to replace the internal lithium Battery? The PIX may have trouble with booting if the battery is low.

Regards

Andreas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card