Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore config on ASA in HA Pair

esink4601
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out the best way to restore the config on an HA pair of ASAs. Let me give you the scenario I'm facing.

1) There are 2 ASAs in an Active-Standby pair. This is already configured and working as expected

2) User takes backup of ASA config before making a change.

3) The change is unsuccessful, and the old config needs to be restored.

How does one go about doing this? I'm under the impression that the running config from the active unit is always pushing the running config to the standby device. So if I copy the backup to startup on the active unit then reboot, the standby will then become active. Once this happens it will over-rule the config I just added to startup on the original active unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

/E

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A full configuration backup is meant more for restoring in case of disaster vs. rolling back a change.

Easier to do a diff between the backup and running-config and just undoing the individual commands that did not work.

gauraku3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

The easiest way to do this would be to first apply the config on secondary and make the secondary unit active and then do a write on secondary once its active, then the secondary which is now active will push the config to former active restoring config there aswell.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card