Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between interfaces on ASA 5520

birdy1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an ASA 5520 which is in multiple context mode.

We are trying to pass traffic from the outside interface to the dmz interface.

I may be fundamentally wrong in the way i'm configuring this, but this is one ting im hoping someone may be able to help with. We have a /27 public ip range. We need a small amount of those addresses to be in the DMZ for SIP servers specifically. The rest of the addresses are NAT'd to the inside interface.

So i created the outside interface GigabitEthernet0/0 with 1.2.3.192/28

Inside Interface GigabitEthernet0/2 with 192.168.20.0/24

DMZ interface on GigabitEthernet0/2.1 with 1.2.3.208/29

So all i want to do is route traffic that comes in the outside interface and out to the DMZ interface for the 1.2.3.208/29 subnet. I set the gateway address as 1.2.3.214 which is the DMZ interface address on the ASA.

I hope this makes sense? Im sure im doing something stupid, im just stuck, and hoping someone can help.

I can provide more info if required.

Thanks

Birdy

20 Replies 20

personally, I wouldn't change my infrastructure just because one feature doesn't work as expected. Better look for the couse of the problem. After changing the MAC-addresses on the ASA, have you tried to clear the arp-cache on the router?

Hi,

Having had a look, my configuration doesnt differ much from what was suggested anyway.

Yes i have cleared the arp cache on the router after changing the mac-addresses.

Thanks

Chris

so from the standpoint of the adjacent router it looks fine with the different MAC-addresses. Please explain what you mean with "locked out of the admin context". What exactly desn't work?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I cannot connect on ASDM, SSH or telnet to the .194 address. Nor can i ping etc. So i cant manage the ASA when mac-address auto is applied. (I schedule a reload before i apply this).

So even though the router is showing a different mac-address in it's arp table, the ASA wont accept connections on the admin context and that IP address. I cant thknk of anything in the ASA that i've configured that would block/filter on L2.

Thanks

Chris

Anything on the Switch between the ASA and the Router?

Hi,

Theres no switch between the router and the firewall. If i explain the topology a bit more that might help.

Internet > Cisco 1921 > ASA 5520 > Dell Blade, Poweredge Switch M6348.

The switch has 2 vlans, one for 192.168.20.0/24 network. The other is the DMZ, 1.2.3.208/29

The ASA has 2 contexts, admin, interface Gi0/0 1.2.3.194/29

ctx1 interface Gi0/0 1.2.3.195/28 - nameif outside

Interface G0/1 10.10.10.1/25 - nameif CMC (Management for blades)

Interface Gi0/2 192.168.20.254/24 nameif inside

Interface Gi0/2.1 1.2.3.208/29 nameif DMZ

I was primarily using NAT to reach various servers/management interfaces on the inside an CMC interfaces. Which worked fine, however we needed a publicly addressable space to run a SIP server and possibly some more things to come. Which is where the DMZ came from. However as the admin context and ctx1 share interface Gi0/0 and i need to route part of the public subnet to the DMZ i found i needed to turn on mac-address auto in the system context. This allows the NAT and the DMZ to work, however i cant access the admin context, The arp-cache updates immediately on the router so it sees the change but i just wonder if its something on the ASA that cannot accept traffic on that Mac-address?

Sorry for the long winded explanation, i hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card