Views
Helpful
Replies

Security Solution

reagentom
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I have a network which segmented to 5 segments (Servers, Staff, Studnets, Guests, DMZ) + two fiber lines for internet connectivity from my ISP.

I would like to find a solution which allow me to terminate all segments and internet lines to it then apply a protection rules ( virus scanning, web filtering etc)

this device should cover the following functions.

Firewall, antivirus, anti spam, web filtering, VPN...

I checked ASA 5500 series but it has a problem in No. of ports available. (5540 has 4 ports only)

any advices ??

4 Replies 4

rkalia1
Level 1
Level 1

You can create a subinterface on say DMZ interface and put it in a different VLAN to separate from the DMZ network. You need to enable trunking on the switch port which connects to the DMZ physical port on ASA 5500.

Suppose you use gig0/2 on the ASA as DMZ. Then you can do the following to create segment STUDENTS on this interface :

ASA(config)#interface GigabitEthernet0/2.300

ASA(config-if)#nameif DMZ

ASA(config-if)#vlan 300

ASA(config-if)#security-level 50

ASA(config-if)#ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

ASA(config-if)#exit

ASA(config)#interface GigabitEthernet0/2.301

ASA(config-if)#nameif STUDENTS

ASA(config-if)#vlan 301

ASA(config-if)#security-level 60

ASA(config-if)#ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0

Pls rate if this solves your problem.

Ahmed

You are correct that in terms of physical interfaces the ASA5540 has only 4 interfaces. But the ASA5540 supports VLANs so if one (or more) of the interfaces are connected to a switch then the number of logical interfaces supported is much higher. According to this data sheet the ASA5540 supports 200 VLANs, which should allow you to segment your network as you want.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks all,

do you mean it is possible to create content filter/ firewalling rules per vlan not per interface .. rt ??

Ahmed

Yes it should be possible to create content filter/ firewalling rules per vlan.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: