cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Service Modules: SSD drives for ASA 5555X: are these necessary?

Supercell292929
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am migrating from a faulty ASA 5555X to a replacement. I would like to swap the two from a remote location (no HA). The only caveat is that the faulty ASA has two mirrored 120GB SSD's and the replacement does not. FirePower is not running on either, nor is IPS. Do I need the SSD's for any reason?

Thank you in advance,

supercell

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SSDs are required for use with the services modules, like Firepower or CX.

SSDs are not required for ASA platform to function.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SSDs are required for use with the services modules, like Firepower or CX.

SSDs are not required for ASA platform to function.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bogdan is correct.

However I would suggest migrating the SSDs from the faulty ASA to the new one. That way you have them in place should you decide to use Firepower later.

Ok. Thank you.

If I have a production ASA 5555X and would like to add the two SSD's from a faulty ASA 5555X (no FirePower, no CX on the faulty ASA) could I physically migrate the two SSD's to the live production ASA without downtime/need to reboot?

Thank you,

supercell

They are hot-swappable (i.e. you can put them into a running ASA without downtime).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/5500xhw/asa_procs.html#pgfId-1097873

I don't believe they will be properly initialized until the ASA reloads and recognizes them via power on self-test (POST) as part of the inventory. However if you aren't using them with the service module feature then that's immaterial.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: