cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small Business needs a Cisco ASA

kboroumand
Level 1
Level 1

I am IT infrastructure support for a small but growing company in CA. We presently have Cisco switches and a Zyxel firewall. We are looking to change to a Cisco firewall. I've used a Cisco ASA 5505 when I was working for another company about 6 years ago but I understand Cisco no longer supports this firewall.
What kind of a firewall would you recommend? It must support VPN clients (25 users) and do I need the service contract?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

New NGFW not as expected cost of ASA 55XX, since you looking more features.

you need to make a requirement, if FTD cost high, I still consider 55XX -X models ( i know cisco soon going to anouce end of life) atleast you can use them for next 2years (perssonally my suggestion).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you would be looking at a NGFW, cisco's smallest is the firepower 4110 with 20gbps thru put.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you Dennis.
Any idea on cost?
Do the VPN clients cost extra?
Would I need a Cisco service contract for upgrades?

Remember we're a small business we can't pay tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe Cisco is too much for us?

New NGFW not as expected cost of ASA 55XX, since you looking more features.

you need to make a requirement, if FTD cost high, I still consider 55XX -X models ( i know cisco soon going to anouce end of life) atleast you can use them for next 2years (perssonally my suggestion).

BB

Why not Meraki MX series firewalls? 

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_mx.pdf

It works a little differently compared to the ASA, but should be able to satisfy your Firewall and VPN requirements.

@Rahul Govindan  yes agreed, Meraki also considered here as use case.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card