cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing method change (online to reserved)

Hi Folks,

We need to change the Smart Lincensing method of our ASA FP 2110s (HA
 pair). They have been configured as standard online licensed device pair and their licenses had been registered online a couple of weeks ago. Now we had to put them to another closed network, and they can not reach Smart Licensing sites online to refresh their status.

The only acceptable way to keep up their licenses seems the reserved (permanent offline) license method. (satellite servers are no way)
So, I would like to ask you about the right steps to change the method of licensing from online to reserved.
Steps on devices (HA Pair), steps on Smart Licensing site, prerequisites and so on.
As I can see the license reservation is well-documented, but I can not see any guide about the change of the method.

Many thanks in advance:
Attila

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'd have to first return (deregister) the current license:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa98/configuration/general/asa-98-general-config/intro-license-smart.html#task_f54_txr_y1b

You would then need to have deployed a local Cisco Smart Software Manager (CSSM) and run it in offline mode. It requires periodic copy/paste of your authorization from cisco.com into the server.

If you have the option of running the CSSM server online you can also use Permanent License Reservation or Specific License Reservation. See pages 128-129 here for an illustration:

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2019/pdf/BRKARC-2034.pdf

Either way, you should open a case with Cisco licensing as you'd have to get the smart account authorized for these features. Contact TAC or email licensing@cisco.com to get started.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card