Helpful
Replies

Source Port for PAT NATs? - ASA 5520

Mohamed Hamid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

This is probably a simple question with a simple answer

I have servers in my private network that need to communicate with servers in my DMZ on port 1080.

I have created a static NAT rule and then edited the rule as part of a lockdown so that the source IP and the Translated port is both 1080.

However when settin this up and checking ASA logs I am seeing that it is complaining of No translation group found for and that the source port is a random number.

This males sense as the incoming source is bound to be a random nubmer but it is the destination that is important. However in the ASA (using ASDM) I am unable to specific port ranges or 'any' port.

What is the best action to take in this case?

Your help us much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mohamed     

1 Reply 1

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

You need a service object which has both source and destination ports. Source could be range 0-65535.

But NAT rules are not the right place to add port conditions. Just add a NAT rule covering all ports. Access lists should filter the traffic by port.

Anyway, the best practice is adding an identity NAT / no NAT rule for all private (RFC1918) address ranges globally.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card