Views
Helpful
Replies

Static DHCP IP to Mac-address reservation in ASA

AGINetworkGroup
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am finding it difficult to suggest my management for replacing the present Netscreen firewall which ASA as it does the static dhcp ip to mac-address mapping.

Is there any facility where ASA does static DHCP IP to Mac-address reservation in ASA.

I have seen some notes on cisco which states the utilisation of option 61 to specify the client identifier as we do in Cisco routers How can I use this in ASA with DHCPD option.

Can anyone help me doing this and send me a sample configuration if this can be done using ASA.

Regards,

Krissh

51 Replies 51

Agreed. It is disheartening that this issue has been ignored for so long. The smaller ASA 5505/5506 line is great for small remote offices (that might not even have other DHCP services available) so to not have this feature available when other garbage soho gateways you can get at Best Buy are able to do this is beyond me.

With ASA on the chopping block for FTD code now, it's doubtful we'll ever get this functionality, which is a huge bummer because I still see 5505/06 boxes all over the place and this would be extremely useful when setting a static IP is sometimes a dangerous (from a remote support perspective) thing to do in a branch office location.

I am really waiting for this feature. This would make my life so much easier.

Come on Cisco!!!!!

mikec85arm
Level 1
Level 1

Come on Cisco, Really??   Every Other Manufacturer supports this feature.   I have alot of sites that I cant move away from another vendor because of this.  

Simple features like this not being there is how Cisco think they are being smart by forcing you to buy another product like a L3 switch. These small customers can't afford that and have already spent on a Cisco box. Remember when they removed the switchports (including the two POE ones) from the asa5505, the 5506 is an absolute disaster. If they haven't done it by now they don't want to do it. Just move to palo alto/fortigate/sonicwall/netgate etc.

Yes, I agree these are just tactics to get you to buy something else. We are a Cisco shop but we have quickly bought a number of PAN devices. It's been like this since the early 90's.

BTW -> this thread started in 2008! 04-21-2008 05:19 PM exactly, this is pretty pathetic.

Yeah couldn't agree more, any excuse to squeeze more money out of customers. We moved to PA and never looked back.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card