cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Firewalls Community


232207
Views
190
Helpful
44
Replies
Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Hi There,

I have recently upgraded our spare ASA 5510 router to version 9.1(3) with ASDM image Version 7.1(5)100.

The client i'm attempting to run the ASDM launcher on is Windows 7 x64 running the latest version of Java (7 update 5).

I am able to get to the main screen when I https to the device.  I can install the ASDM launcher, but once I enter the hostname and Password I receive the following error "Unable to launch Device Manager 192.168.X.XXX".

I have gone through a check list and I can confirm the following:

- the 3des-sha1 licence is enabled

- Http server is enabled for my clients subnet

- ssl encryption is enabled

- Tried Firefox and IE10

When I attempt to run the ASDM via the browser I get as far as asking for the password and although the initial prompt seems to accept it, another authentication box appears asking for it over and over again in an endless loop.

I have been through many forum posts and check lists, but cannot seem to pinpoint this problem.

If it helps, the box was previously flashed back to factory-default before I then applied the configuration from scratch (based on the config of our live ASA 5510).

Can somebody help please?

Thanks

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Hi Anthony,

Since, you must have following command on ASA:

aaa authentication http console LOCAL

Along with that , there should be a username and password in ASA's local database. So try to configure following command and then check:

username cisco password cisco

After this try to access ASDM with username and password both cisco and check whether it works or not.

- Prateek Verma

44 REPLIES 44
Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Hi Anthony,

Could you please send me the output of "show run aaa", "show run all ssl".

Also Please confirm the JAVA version, is it JAVA 7 update 5 or update 51.?

Thanks and Regards,

Pulkit Bhandari

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Firstly, sorry the Java version is infact Version 7 Update 51.

There is no output for "show run aaa"!!

CISCO-ASA-1(config)# show run all ssl

ssl server-version any

ssl client-version any

ssl encryption rc4-md5 rc4-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 3des-sha1

ssl certificate-authentication fca-timeout 2

Thanks

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the outputs.

Please add the following command on the ASA and then test if it works for you.

aaa authentication http console LOCAL

Please let me know if it works and accept this reply as a solution.

Thanks ,

Pulkit Bhandari

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Pulkit Bhandari wrote:

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the outputs.

Please add the following command on the ASA and then test if it works for you.

aaa authentication http console LOCAL

Please let me know if it works and accept this reply as a solution.

Thanks ,

Pulkit Bhandari

Unfortunately I am still receiving the same issue with both the ASDM application and via the web browser.

Thanks

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Hi Anthony,

Could you please follow the below steps and add an exception in Java for the ASDM IP address becasue we have been seeing issues after JAVA 7 update 51. Please follow the below steps and the chek if it works for you.

Add a security exception for the ASA in the Java Control Panel, so that you could launch the current ASDM image and upgrade it from within ASDM:

     - Open Java Control Panel

        * on Windows: Start > Control Panel > Java Control Panel

        * on Mac: click on Java icon in System Preferences

     - Go to the Security tab

     - In the Exception Site List section at the bottom, click Edit Site List and add the ASA you want to manage with           ASDM:

           https://>

         where is the IP address of the ASA.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Pulkit Bhandari

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Pulkit Bhandari wrote:

Hi Anthony,

Could you please follow the below steps and add an exception in Java for the ASDM IP address becasue we have been seeing issues after JAVA 7 update 51. Please follow the below steps and the chek if it works for you.

Add a security exception for the ASA in the Java Control Panel, so that you could launch the current ASDM image and upgrade it from within ASDM:

     - Open Java Control Panel

        * on Windows: Start > Control Panel > Java Control Panel

        * on Mac: click on Java icon in System Preferences

     - Go to the Security tab

     - In the Exception Site List section at the bottom, click Edit Site List and add the ASA you want to manage with           ASDM:

           https://>

         where is the IP address of the ASA.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Pulkit Bhandari

I have already done this also Pulkit and additionally I have even temporarily decreased the Java security level to Medium, but still no good.

I have noticed in the Java logs when attempting to login to the ASDM app that there seems to be an issue with the Certificate, it says "Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Java couldn't trust Server"

I have also managed to use OpenSSL in order to get the certificate imported into the Trusted certificates within Java.

Thanks

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Any further ideas?

Thanks

This is Java issue, try jre 7

This is Java issue, try jre 7, everything worked fine.

Beginner

I had to install Java 6

I had to install Java 6 update 43 to get ASDM to launch. It would not work with Java 7 update 9, 45 or 71

Beginner

Re: I had to install Java 6

This worked here. i have been searching for a solution for a long time. i have uninstalled the latest version and installed the above. now working fine ( using Windows 10 )

 

thanks a lot, Robert Stack

Beginner

Re: I had to install Java 6

Hello,

 

I don't know if you will see this or not. I downloaded and installed Java 6 update 43 and still getting the error "Unable to launch device manager from 10.x.x.x". I have added the IP address to the exceptions list in Java. Not sure what is going on...

Re: This is Java issue, try jre 7

I have degraded JAVA from 8 to 6, my problem is solved.

 

Thanks for the useful suggestion.

Beginner

Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Hi,

I would suggest you to downgrade the java to version 7 update 45. It should work after that.

- Prateek Verma

Beginner

Re: Unable to launch Device Manager - ASDM issue

Prateek Verma wrote:

Hi,

I would suggest you to downgrade the java to version 7 update 45. It should work after that.

- Prateek Verma

Hi Prateek,

I have now downgraded my Java client to v7 Update 45 as you suggested, but I'm now being told that the password I'm entering for the ASDM is invalid, which isn't the case!!

Any thoughts?