cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding Cisco ASA

ksarin123_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have disabled Unicast RPF on a Cisco ASA 5510 for one specific interface. However, how do I verify that RPF indeed has been disabled on that particular interface? It doesn't show up in the config, neither does it up when I issue the command "sh int interface'.

To disable the RPF feature, I issued the following command:

no ip verify reverse-path interface interface_name

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unicast RPF is disabled by default on the ASA unless you explicitly enable it on an interface.

Since it is disabled by default on all interfaces, you will not see them in the configuration. Once you enable RPF for a specific interface, you will see that enabled in the configuration.

For example:

If you have 3 interfaces: inside, dmz and outside, and you enable it for inside only, then when you perform "sh run ip verify reverse-path", you will see the following:

ip verify reverse-path interface inside

OR/ you will see that in the running configuration as well. The other 2 interfaces that you haven't explicitly enabled will still be disabled by default, and will not show under the configuration.

Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unicast RPF is disabled by default on the ASA unless you explicitly enable it on an interface.

Since it is disabled by default on all interfaces, you will not see them in the configuration. Once you enable RPF for a specific interface, you will see that enabled in the configuration.

For example:

If you have 3 interfaces: inside, dmz and outside, and you enable it for inside only, then when you perform "sh run ip verify reverse-path", you will see the following:

ip verify reverse-path interface inside

OR/ you will see that in the running configuration as well. The other 2 interfaces that you haven't explicitly enabled will still be disabled by default, and will not show under the configuration.

Hope that answers your question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card