Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from Cisco 5510

BlkDrac2011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, 

Hopefully what will be a quick and easy couple questions. We currently have a "antique" Cisco ASA 5510. and we are being forced to upgrade by a government contract stipulation. We are looking at purchasing a Cisco FirePower 1120. What Cisco's official next in line calls for is a Cisco ASA 5508-X (why does it go down in number? lol). But the specs on the FirePower are better. 

1. Would upgrading to the FirePower 1120 over the ASA 5508-X make sense? Or are there major hurdles to overcome on this migration?

2. Because I found CDW's Responses to questions about this to be rather lackluster, what would a good online Cisco partner be? Our local one we have nearby I refuse to deal with.

Thank you,

Jeremy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Would upgrading to the FirePower 1120 over the ASA 5508-X make sense? Or are there major hurdles to overcome on this migration?

Moving Forward Cisco more Concentrating on Firepower, suggest to invest on FP 1120, depends on Rule Setup you have.

if you have simple rules less than 100, i create them manually on new FP 1120 and Cut over.

If the rules are crazy like 5k+, then Cisco have tool to Migrate them, but suggest to have Partner resource do it for you, if you are not familiar, so they can workaround if any issue encounter while you cut over to new environment.

any further assistance required happy to help here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Moving Forward Cisco more Concentrating on Firepower, suggest to invest on FP 1120, depends on Rule Setup you have.

if you have simple rules less than 100, i create them manually on new FP 1120 and Cut over.

If the rules are crazy like 5k+, then Cisco have tool to Migrate them, but suggest to have Partner resource do it for you, if you are not familiar, so they can workaround if any issue encounter while you cut over to new environment.

any further assistance required happy to help here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you,

That is what I was rather looking for. And yes, our rules setup is fairly simple. so just a cut over would suffice. 

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card