cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upload the running config file from from 8.2(5) to 8.0(4)

Ejaz Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a cisco firewall 5510 with running software 8.2(5). I want to know, will the config file (ie running-config) of this firewall works in the same model of ASA (ie 5510) which runs with software version 8.0(4) ?

If not is there any quick method to to upload the running config file from 8.0(4) to 8.2(5).

Thanks,
Ejaz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The same comment applies regarding licensing.

However why not just copy the ASA image onto the target system so that they are running the exact same software version?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

the config for both versions should be compatible.

you can TFTP the startup-config and the load it in running-config (active RAM) on the new 5510:

copy start tftp    <<< EXTRACT THE CONFIG YOU WANT

copy tftp flash   <<< COPY CONFIG TO NEW ASA 5510 FLASH

copy start run    <<< LOAD CONFIG

Thank you John for your valuable reply. :) 

Regards,

Ejaz

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure that they both have the same license.

If one has Security Plus and the other does not, the interface types won't match and the load will result in errors for anything referencing the incompatible interface. (Security Plus upgrades to physical interfaces o/1 and 0/1 from "FastEthernet" to "GigabitEthernet" on the 5510.)

If you are using AnyConnect on the old one you will need the license for that on the new one.

ASA licenses cannot be transferred except by Cisco in the case of an RMA.

Hi Marvin,

Thank you for your valuable reply. I will check the licence version of the model and let u know. 

One thing I know is the current active ASA (8.2.5) having asa825-k8.bin the other one (8.0.0) is  ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9.

If the restoration of config file is not possible then we have enter the configuration manually?? 

Thanks

Ejaz

Based on the SKU, your old one has the Security Plus license. The information you gave about the new one is insufficient to determine what license it has.

Go into both and execute the command "show version". The output can be compared to check licenses.

If they have different licenses, whether or not you can migrate depends on what features you are using. You may be able to manually change the interface names before loading the old config onto the new device but it would require copying it off to a PC first to do that. 

Hi Marvin,

I am sorry there is a mistake . Actually I need to transfer the config from 8.2(5) to 8.0. So it is from a newer version to old version. I had mentioned it as in reverse in the title of discussion, now changed that. Sorry for that

In that case also (newer to older) it is same like what u commented on last post, right?

Regards,

Ejaz Ahmed

The same comment applies regarding licensing.

However why not just copy the ASA image onto the target system so that they are running the exact same software version?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card