Views
Helpful
Replies

URL Whiltelisting on ASA without FirePOWER license

PETER NEGUS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We want to deny all outbound web access except to a group of about 10 whitelist URL domains on an ASA 5525-X with FirePOWER services. Is it possible to do this on the ASA without an add-on FirePower license? Will this have a significant performance impact?

5 Replies 5

Joel
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to create an object within the ASA using a FQDN. To do this the ASA has to be able to resolve names.

dns domain-lookup inside
dns server-group DefaultDNS
 name-server x.x.x.x
 domain-name company.com

Example of a FQDN object

object network site.example.com
 fqdn site.example.com

You then put this into an ACL. i.e. access-list inside-in extended permit tcp object inside-networks object site.example.com eq www

Note issues will occur if a site utilises global load balancers, where your inside clients resolve site.example.com as xyz but the ASA gets the IP zyx. Also, you can't do wildcards i.e. *.microsoft.com

Ultimately, if it's really basic you can do it. Otherwise you need something designed for a web gateway.

Joel

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't work in our case because we have multiple target hosts within a domain, which need to be expressed as a wildcard - for example *.anynet.network.com . As the FQDN is based on a DNS lookup, wildcards don't work.

Sorry for not making my initial query clearer

Peter

Hi Balaji

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Do you know if this will require a FirePOWER license, and if so, which one?

The MPF/regex-based approach doesn't require the Firepower service module at all. No special ASA license is required - just the base software.

I almost never see it in use in live networks though as it never caught on since it's so burdensome to configure.

A much more sustainable solution is to use Firepower with URL Filtering or, better yet, Cisco Umbrella.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card