Views
Helpful
Replies

URL Whiltelisting on ASA without FirePOWER license

PETER NEGUS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We want to deny all outbound web access except to a group of about 10 whitelist URL domains on an ASA 5525-X with FirePOWER services. Is it possible to do this on the ASA without an add-on FirePower license? Will this have a significant performance impact?

5 Replies 5

Joel
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to create an object within the ASA using a FQDN. To do this the ASA has to be able to resolve names.

dns domain-lookup inside
dns server-group DefaultDNS
 name-server x.x.x.x
 domain-name company.com

Example of a FQDN object

object network site.example.com
 fqdn site.example.com

You then put this into an ACL. i.e. access-list inside-in extended permit tcp object inside-networks object site.example.com eq www

Note issues will occur if a site utilises global load balancers, where your inside clients resolve site.example.com as xyz but the ASA gets the IP zyx. Also, you can't do wildcards i.e. *.microsoft.com

Ultimately, if it's really basic you can do it. Otherwise you need something designed for a web gateway.

Joel

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't work in our case because we have multiple target hosts within a domain, which need to be expressed as a wildcard - for example *.anynet.network.com . As the FQDN is based on a DNS lookup, wildcards don't work.

Sorry for not making my initial query clearer

Peter

Hi Balaji

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Do you know if this will require a FirePOWER license, and if so, which one?

The MPF/regex-based approach doesn't require the Firepower service module at all. No special ASA license is required - just the base software.

I almost never see it in use in live networks though as it never caught on since it's so burdensome to configure.

A much more sustainable solution is to use Firepower with URL Filtering or, better yet, Cisco Umbrella.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: