Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of Security Level on ASA with ACLs

ivanwong0803
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On my configuration, I'm using extended on the inbound of my 3 interfaces (inside,dmz,outside). I was wondering if there I should remove the security levels or if they are of any use since I have ACL in place already.

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

After you have attached an ACL inbound to an interface it controls the traffic for networks behind that interface. So security-levels dont have a major role anymore.

Though you should consider that there are still situations where the "security-level" might come into the picture.

• If you have identical "security-level" interfaces and you want to allow traffic between them then ACLs wont be enough but you also need to use the "same-security-traffic permit " format command to allow the traffic.
  • Atleast in software 8.2 there is still some limitations regarding NAT depending on the "security-level" of the source and destination of the interface. I think for example you need to do Dynamic NAT/PAT between interfaces you cant do this from lower to higher direction.

Best bet is to refer to your current software level Cisco documents. Both the Command Reference and Configuration Guide PDFs found online provide good information on these commands

Please rate if the information was helpfull and/or ask more questions if needed

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card