cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Transparent Mode with Multiple Subnets on a Single VLAN

Andrew Smale
Level 1
Level 1

A friend of mine runs a small VPS hosting company and has a few servers in a remote DC. He had purchased an ASA 5512-X and intends to use it to monitor traffic transparently between his servers and the uplink to his DC Internet connection.

I helped him setup the ASA in his home lab and we have transparent mode working with a single subnet. However his DC has provisioned five unique IP subnets for external connectivity on a single VLAN. He has a single 1 Gbps connection.

Is there anyway to make this work with the ASA? My understanding is there needs to be a BVI interface on each L3 segment to make this work. I don't believe you can assign multiple IP addresses to a single BVI interface.

My suggestion to him was to talk to the provider and see if they can convert the link to a trunk and provision each external subnet on a different VLAN and then we could use subinterfaces on the ASA.

Connectivity flow is (Single 1 Gbps Internet feed from DC) > L2 VLAN on a Switch > ASA > L2 VLAN on Switch > Servers

There is a no NAT involved.

Thanks!

Andrew

2 Replies 2

Unless something has changed, there is only one IP address on the ASA in transparent mode, and it is only there to manage the ASA. 

I would consider going multi context and creating a bridge group in each context. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/intro_fw.html#57210

Thanks Jonathan. Part of our issue is we don't have enough ports on the 5512-X to split everything out. We might just do a simplified version and bridge on a few of the subnets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card