cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why is ASA so far down the WCCP Preference List?

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

This list makes it seem like the ASA is not the best WCCP deployment option, but for WSA implementation, the ASA is logical choice in many cases. Does anyone know why the ASA is so far down the list?

wccp_list.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I'm not sure where you got the list from or whose preference it represents, but my guess would be that the ASA has a few limitations that the other platforms listed do not.

For example, the ASA does not have "redirect out" support. This means that WCCP integration with the ASA will only work in scenarios where the cache engine and the clients exist behind the same logical interface on the ASA. This makes it undesirable for people in certain design scenarios.

You can read more about the limitations of the ASA with WCCP here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/access_wccp.html#wp1101443

-Mike

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I'm not sure where you got the list from or whose preference it represents, but my guess would be that the ASA has a few limitations that the other platforms listed do not.

For example, the ASA does not have "redirect out" support. This means that WCCP integration with the ASA will only work in scenarios where the cache engine and the clients exist behind the same logical interface on the ASA. This makes it undesirable for people in certain design scenarios.

You can read more about the limitations of the ASA with WCCP here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/access_wccp.html#wp1101443

-Mike

Thanks Mike.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would add, given the few notes with items 1 and 2, that performance seems to be the primary metric used in prioritizing the list

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card