cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wierd performance issue, Anyconnect client really slow to download.

itsupport
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA5508X, controlled by a vFMC. Both are running 6.2.2.0. The Firewall is configured as a VPN server, with Anyconnect 4.5.02033 client software loaded.

As expected, I can browse to the correct URL, and have the Anyconnect software install itself from a browser. The problem is performance.

The Firewall is connected via a 50/50Mb "business class" fibre. At the moment, a target laptop is tethered to my cellphone, with a 4G connection to the outside world. Inside of the network behind the 5508 and fibre, performance is brisk, in line with what I would expect for a 50/50 fibre. The laptop tethered to my cellphone is also quite fast, according to speedtest.net 42Mbps down, 7Mb up. Pretty impressive for a mobile phone connection. Browsing other websites is also quite fast, confirming the connection is good. Basically, everything is working as expected, and pretty fast. The laptop itself is a few years old, an i3 based Dell with 4Gb of RAM, running Windows7. Nothing special, but it is not doing much, and runs nicely. Task manager shows a couple of percent CPU in use, heaps of free memory, and a trickle of network throughput.

When I kick off the install of Anyconnect, it works, but the download is absurdly slow. It is now showing "Time left I hour 7 mins (1.78MB of 5.35MB)".  That is slower than an old 33.6 modem I used in the early 90s!

I did a similar install last week, it, similarly took a couple of hours to install, but once installed performance was fine. I just shrugged and wrote it off as a problem I would not see again, but it seems to be still here. I expect this one will be the same. A 2 hour install is not a huge problem when users bring a laptop to me and ask me to configure it, but won't really fly for users in remote areas doing a DIY install.

I have no idea where to even start looking here. It is ONLY the Anyconnect download that is slow, everything else is pleasantly zippy.

Anyone seen similar before? Any idea where to start looking?

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card