cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Zone Based Firewall dropping SYN from inside to DMVPN? (config attached)

Palmer Sample
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with ZBFW appearing to cause retransmits when connecting from an inside host to a host on the remote side of the DMVPN.  ICMP appears to work fine, but RDP ends up with two sessions: one established and one half-open.  When the half-open session times out, the connection dies.

What's interesting is that initiating a connection from a DMVPN host to an internal host, the connection gets established and I can stay connected all day with no problem.  The router in question is a 7206vxr running 15.1(4)M7, and it serves as an internet edge router.  All routes are present (EIGRP over DMVPN) and internet access is fine.

If I move the tunnel interfaces into the LAN security zone, no problem.  Traffic flows from inside to outside.  It's just when I have them into a separate zone, things get strange.  I'm posting a sanitized config in case there's some glaring issue I've missed.

Output from 'sh policy-map type inspect zone-pair LAN-to-DMVPN sessions' when initiating an RDP session:

policy exists on zp LAN-to-DMVPN

Zone-pair: LAN-to-DMVPN

Service-policy inspect : LAN-to-DMVPN

Class-map: LAN-to-DMVPN (match-all)

Match: access-group name LAN-to-DMVPN

Inspect

Number of Established Sessions = 1

Established Sessions

Session 68AFD3A0 (192.168.77.160:3623)=>(172.23.2.13:3389) tcp SIS_OPEN/TCP_ESTAB

Created 00:00:09, Last heard 00:00:09

Bytes sent (initiator:responder) [0:0]

Number of Half-open Sessions = 1

Half-open Sessions

Session 68B027A0 (192.168.77.160:3623)=>(172.23.2.13:3389) tcp SIS_OPENING/TCP_SYNSENT

Created 00:00:09, Last heard 00:00:09

Bytes sent (initiator:responder) [0:0]

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

Match: any

Drop

0 packets, 0 bytes

Note the same source and destination pairs with different session IDs.

Now, when I connect from DMVPN to LAN via RDP:

policy exists on zp DMVPN-to-LAN

Zone-pair: DMVPN-to-LAN

Service-policy inspect : DMVPN-to-LAN

Class-map: DMVPN-to-LAN (match-all)

Match: access-group name DMVPN-to-LAN

Inspect

Number of Established Sessions = 1

Established Sessions

Session 68B051A0 (172.23.2.13:55622)=>(192.168.77.160:3389) tcp SIS_OPEN/TCP_ESTAB

Created 01:21:17, Last heard 00:00:00

Bytes sent (initiator:responder) [585503:10830828]

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

Match: any

Drop

2 packets, 40 bytes

Also note that this connection has been up for over an hour, and it does _not_ create the half-open session when the initial connect takes place.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-P

5 Replies 5

Hello, Palmer.

ZBFW looks good; the only thing I could suggest to try is:

- rewrite ACL DMVPN-to-LAN without service "object-group RDP+SSH+ICMP" - write with "tcp ... eq 22/3389" stetements.

- or try to remove DMVPN to LAN pair (just to test).

Thanks Mikhailovsky,

I tested with the change to the ACL, but no luck.  There isn't a problem from the DMVPN-to-LAN side - this works as expected, and the ACL shows hits either way it's configured.

The problem persists with LAN-to-DMVPN - one established and one half-open, and the connection dies when the half-open resets due to not receiving ACK SYN (but the established connection obviously completed 3-way handshake) - it's like something in the firewall config is causing the initial SYN to be retransmitted.

I've also tried with 15.2(4)M5 with no luck.  Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-P

Hello, Palmer.

Try to remove DMVPN to LAN pair (just to test) - I suspect it could cause (on backtrack SYN) this weird session when TCP originated from LAN!

Mikhailovsky,

Still no dice.  Didn't think it would affect the return traffic, but gave it a shot anyway.  It's just baffling that ZBF is working as expected from DMVPN to LAN but the LAN to DMVPN traffic gets screwy.  It's not just on RDP sessions, either - any interactive session I attempt to open dies out.  I'm starting to wonder if it's got to do with NAT - that's the only difference in ingress traffic from the LAN side.  I can probably simplify it by replacing the route-map with an ACL - there were initially two ISPs terminating on the router so the route-map was larger to identify different traffic sources

In the meantime - anything else you can think of?  Anyone?

Thanks!

-P

Update:
I configured this on an 1811W running IOS 15(1)4 M7 and all was well. Must have been a problem with the hardware. Marking thus as answered - thanks for the replies.

-P

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card