cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA Accounting Identity

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys, anybody here knows what is the use of the command below in the switches?

aaa accounting identity start-stop group radius?

I searched over the internet but it have only minimal information.

Thanks for the help.

3 Replies 3

Colby LeMaire
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Enables accounting information for "Session Aware Networking".  When a session starts, it will send a AAA accounting start message and when that session ends, it will send the accounting stop message with session duration information.  For purposes of ISE, this would be any 802.1x or MAB session that the switch is handling.  Allows ISE to know when a session has been established and when that particular session has ended because the port went down or device unplugged, went to sleep, etc.

Hi @Colby LeMaire thanks for the feedback.

May I know what is "Session Aware Networking"? this is the first time I saw this phrase, is this the same as IBNS 2.0? thanks

It is all related.  IBNS is Identity Based Networking Services.  It is all about knowing WHO is connected, WHERE they are connected, HOW, etc.  You could also call it Context Aware Networking or any other fancy buzzwords that vendors use.  And when I say "who", that could be an actual person with 802.1x user authentication or a device with machine authentication or MAC Authentication Bypass (MAB).  For the "identity" accounting, it is just tracking the who or what is connected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: