cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect and ISE with DUO MFA strange issue

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

I am using the ASA to primary auth against Cisco ISE servers and then secondary authentication to DUO proxy servers using DUO_auth Only. 

I am seeing some strange things in the ISE radius logs. I see a successful auth followed by a rejected auth, but I still get one and still have access. 

First session says 5200 authentication succeeded. 

24343 RPC Logon request succeeded - stevenwilliams@eftdomain.net
  24402 User authentication against Active Directory succeeded - All_AD_Join_Points
  22037 Authentication Passed
  24423 ISE has not been able to confirm previous successful machine authentication

Evaluating Authorization Policy

15004 Matched rule - IT
  15016 Selected Authorization Profile - SSLVPN_IT
  11022 Added the dACL specified in the Authorization Profile
  22081 Max sessions policy passed
  22080 New accounting session created in Session cache
  11002 Returned RADIUS Access-Accept

So that looks good. RADIUS looks good also.  Then the second log says RADIUS failed due to incorrect password.

Event 5400 Authentication failed
Failure Reason 24408 User authentication against Active Directory failed since user has entered the wrong password
Resolution Check the user password credentials. If the RADIUS request is using PAP for authentication, also check the Shared Secret configured for the Network Device
Root cause User authentication against Active Directory failed since user has entered the wrong password
Username stevenwilliams

24323 Identity resolution detected single matching account
  24344 RPC Logon request failed - STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD,ERROR_INVALID_PASSWORD,stevenwilliams@eftdomain.net
  24408 User authentication against Active Directory failed since user has entered the wrong password - All_AD_Join_Points
  22057 The advanced option that is configured for a failed authentication request is used
  22061 The 'Reject' advanced option is configured in case of a failed authentication request
  11003 Returned RADIUS Access-Reject

So I do not get it. The only thing I am thinking is this is happening due to incorrect configuration at the authentication policy area. What are these "suppose" to be how are they "suppose" to be configured? When do they need to be modified?

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 1.52.03 PM.png

25 Replies 25

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Does your authentication goes to ise first?
Have you deployed duo auth proxy?

Personally, i configure asa to send requests to duo proxy and then duo will forward it to ise for auth and authorization.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

ASA auths to ISE first and Duo is secondary Auth. The ASA uses DUO radius to a duo proxy. We cant use duo proxy for both authentication and authorization as the we are using dACLs which uses CoA and the duo proxy will not pass on the CoA to ISE so this is the way it has to be done per Duo and Cisco support.

Does DUO auth proxy also tie to the backend AD? IF yes, I believe you can set ISE as only your authorization server. What this should do is authenticate against DUO (with AD and push/passcode) and check authorization against ISE. Authorization is what gives you the DACL's, so your CoA/posture should work normally. 

So DUO can be set up as this:

https://duo.com/docs/cisco-alt

And then you add ISE as authz server as seen below:

duo-ise.PNG

No, Duo proxy is doing DUO only, no ad_client is used. Proxy looks to duo api only.

Ok, makes sense. Can you paste the ASA side config for that tunnel-group?

Also, do you have the ASA radius debug output that you can sanitize and share? My thought is that since the username looks to be shared between the primary and secondary auth, the second failure is when the ASA uses the secondary creds (duo) also for authorization, causing a failure on ISE. 

whats the debug for this and is it ok to do during the day?

Ok it wasn't mentioned about dACL.
Normally your ASA should reach ISE as radius server.
Then you have on ISE:
- external radius token which will be your duo auth proxy server
- identity source sequence which has DUO radius token only as source identity
- create a policy-set VPN (just assumption here)
- authentication going to identity source sequence previously created
- authorization policy with your authz profile (dACL,...)

On your duo auth proxy, you have radius_server_auto section (which has ISE IP) + you can have radius_client (your ISE IP as well) to validate users credentials.

Or have you configured it another way?
I'm testing FTD (FDM) 6.4 and tested it with success. (not tested dACL right now) but it shouldn't affect as DUO is part of authentication process only and then authorization is between ISE and ASA

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

That method is the way we have it now and it causes way too many issues, timing issues, miss pushes, etc, etc. So Duo and Cisco have told us to redesign.

Ok weird I always deploy that way and never ended with such big issues.
Then you are in the old fashion way with 1st authentication from ASA to ISE and 2nd authentication to Duo right? Or I missed something here.
The 2nd auth is using DUO-LDAP straight to internet or going to local duo-proxy?

Then why the 2nd auth is sent to ISE which triggers a failed. Normally when ISE replies with an access-accept the 1st time, then ASA should request the 2nd auth server (DUO) to validate the passcode or push the popup.

If using proxy, can you share the authproxy cfg file (remove all passwords) + ASA config ?
Can you also please share ISE config (Identity Source Sequence) and the full log of authentication (both: accept and failed)?

Thanks
Francesco

ASA:

AAA Server Group = ISE Server

-> Secondary Authentication = DUO-RADIUS -> Use Primary Username

;[radius_server_auto]
;ikey=
;skey=
;api_host=
;radius_ip_1=
;radius_secret_1=
;failmode=safe
;client=ad_client
;port=1812

[duo_only_client]

[radius_server_duo_only]
ikey=DI2DTOC8S*****
skey=qrVyCPhvfkczB7****
api_host=api-7****.duosecurity.com
failmode=safe
radius_ip_1=10.53.0.251
radius_secret_1=****an2nv6ehz9P***

I've done it on my LAB and it works fine. Here my config 

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png 

It works like a charm!

Thanks
Francesco

Cant see anything here.

Sorry screenshot are now accessible

Thanks
Francesco

Ya I am not doing duo ldap. So the asa talks to the duo proxy and proxy talks to duo cloud api...so not sure what that changes. what does your ISE policy look like?