cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authenticate NON Domain PCs in ISE

NETAD
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, one of my clients would like to use ISE to control network access at a plant. The machines are not joined to AD and users login via local accounts. How can I create an authc policy to ahthenticate those users? Which identity store should be selected in this case? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yalbikaw
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello :)

well it actually depends how you would like to authenticate this user, 

if you want his local account to be authenticated and this machine is not joined to AD, then you must configure manually the dot1x on the supplicant as well putting the credentials user name and password inside ISE identity store.

how many machines you want to authenticate like this way ? it will cost a lot of operations.

if those machines are not controlled, its nice to have wired guest authentication instead of having a lot of configurations to add.

View solution in original post

You could use MAB with guest access as mentioned above if the machines do not have supplicants and also for consistent user experiance.

-Krishnan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

yalbikaw
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello :)

well it actually depends how you would like to authenticate this user, 

if you want his local account to be authenticated and this machine is not joined to AD, then you must configure manually the dot1x on the supplicant as well putting the credentials user name and password inside ISE identity store.

how many machines you want to authenticate like this way ? it will cost a lot of operations.

if those machines are not controlled, its nice to have wired guest authentication instead of having a lot of configurations to add.

Hi, I believe it’s only 11 so far but will be more down the road. 

So pretty much use MAB instead of dot1x, or use dot1x with local accounts on ISE are my only 2 options. 

You could use MAB with guest access as mentioned above if the machines do not have supplicants and also for consistent user experiance.

-Krishnan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: