Views
Helpful
Replies

Bootable USB not working for ISE 2.4 image for 3600 appliances

aravikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Trying to reimage new 3615 boxes with 2.4 image with new ISO. I followed Cisco doc as it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_011.html#id_12079

performed step 1 to 10 from above document. After reloading boxes and booting it from USB , I did get notification for below

Cisco ISE Installation (Serial Console)

Cisco ISE Installation (Keyboard/Monitor)

System Utilities (Serial Console)

System Utilities (Keyboard/Monitor)

I chose Cisco ISE Installation (Keyboard/Monitor) but after this I got an error (please see the attached screenshot).

error: /syslinux/vmlinuz has invalid signature. Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Aravind

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @ccole 

Did you upgrade your CIMC by any chance?  ISE uses UEFI Secure Boot and this means it will perform a certificate check against the OS boot sector.  If you use a random version of the UCS C220 CIMC firmware then you will prevent ISE from booting.  The CIMC versions that ISE support are just a few.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kthiruve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please make sure you use the right image. It is looking for signed image that is correct for the appliance.

ise-2.4.0.357.SPA.x86_64_SNS-36x5_APPLIANCE_ONLY.iso

Thanks
Krishnan

Hi Krishnan,

Thank you for your response.

We are using the right image that is correct for the appliance.

ise-2.4.0.357.SPA.x86_64_SNS-36x5_APPLIANCE_ONLY.iso

Thanks,

Aravind Ravikumar.

Hello, has this been resolved yet? I have a "errors: /syslinux/vmlinux has invalid signature"

Hi @ccole 

Did you upgrade your CIMC by any chance?  ISE uses UEFI Secure Boot and this means it will perform a certificate check against the OS boot sector.  If you use a random version of the UCS C220 CIMC firmware then you will prevent ISE from booting.  The CIMC versions that ISE support are just a few.  

Please work with TAC on debugging issues

JHILL2
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same issue, and TAC has confirmed that it is a bug.  

Bug ID: CSCvq94084

Description: Unable to install 2.4 on 36xx appliance via USB flash Drive

Symptom: ISE 2.4 new ISO using USB flash drive as USB boot installation is faster than vKVM ISO mounting installation, getting below error:

HTH!

error: /syslinux/vmlinuz has invalid signature

error: you need to load the kernel first.

Conditions: ISE 2.4 ISO installation on 36XX via USB flash drive

Workaround: Use vKVM ISO mounting installation (CIMC)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: