Views
Helpful
Replies

Bootable USB not working for ISE 2.4 image for 3600 appliances

aravikumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Trying to reimage new 3615 boxes with 2.4 image with new ISO. I followed Cisco doc as it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_011.html#id_12079

performed step 1 to 10 from above document. After reloading boxes and booting it from USB , I did get notification for below

Cisco ISE Installation (Serial Console)

Cisco ISE Installation (Keyboard/Monitor)

System Utilities (Serial Console)

System Utilities (Keyboard/Monitor)

I chose Cisco ISE Installation (Keyboard/Monitor) but after this I got an error (please see the attached screenshot).

error: /syslinux/vmlinuz has invalid signature. Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Aravind

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @ccole 

Did you upgrade your CIMC by any chance?  ISE uses UEFI Secure Boot and this means it will perform a certificate check against the OS boot sector.  If you use a random version of the UCS C220 CIMC firmware then you will prevent ISE from booting.  The CIMC versions that ISE support are just a few.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kthiruve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please make sure you use the right image. It is looking for signed image that is correct for the appliance.

ise-2.4.0.357.SPA.x86_64_SNS-36x5_APPLIANCE_ONLY.iso

Thanks
Krishnan

Hi Krishnan,

Thank you for your response.

We are using the right image that is correct for the appliance.

ise-2.4.0.357.SPA.x86_64_SNS-36x5_APPLIANCE_ONLY.iso

Thanks,

Aravind Ravikumar.

Hello, has this been resolved yet? I have a "errors: /syslinux/vmlinux has invalid signature"

Hi @ccole 

Did you upgrade your CIMC by any chance?  ISE uses UEFI Secure Boot and this means it will perform a certificate check against the OS boot sector.  If you use a random version of the UCS C220 CIMC firmware then you will prevent ISE from booting.  The CIMC versions that ISE support are just a few.  

Please work with TAC on debugging issues

JHILL2
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same issue, and TAC has confirmed that it is a bug.  

Bug ID: CSCvq94084

Description: Unable to install 2.4 on 36xx appliance via USB flash Drive

Symptom: ISE 2.4 new ISO using USB flash drive as USB boot installation is faster than vKVM ISO mounting installation, getting below error:

HTH!

error: /syslinux/vmlinuz has invalid signature

error: you need to load the kernel first.

Conditions: ISE 2.4 ISO installation on 36XX via USB flash drive

Workaround: Use vKVM ISO mounting installation (CIMC)