Views
Helpful
Replies

Certificate not installed on Windows 10 endpoint

sr2290723
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am doing a POC for my customer on ISE 2.2 patch 4. We tried on BYOD provisioning flow using ISE as CA on a Windows 10 endpoint connected to Cisco 2960S switch.

The provisioning process completed successfully, and I can see that the certificate is issued by ISE to the endpoint. However, when I verified in the endpoint, I can’t find it installed in any certificate store (machine or user).

Can anybody give me a light on how to troubleshoot this issue ? Appreciate any input.

Thank you,

Wiyandi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the windows user itself is not a local admin user, then the certificate is installed under the certificate store of the local admin user whose credential is used when prompted for UAC. I would suggest either to use the local admin user or add the windows user to the local admin group.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

kthiruve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please check out the how to guides for BYOD for step by step procedures using certificates and for on-boarding.

Also I am assuming that after the registration, the endpoint was able to access the network successfully.

ISE Design & Integration Guides

If you can authenticate successfully  I dont see a problem. Make sure you are logging in as administrator for opening local and machine cert.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wcf/feature-details/how-to-view-certificates-with-the-mmc-snap-in

-Krishnan

Hi Krishan,

Thanks.

The problem is that although Cisco Network Assistant show as completed, but authentication using EAP-TLS fails. I don't even see there is a RADIUS authentication attempt using certificate.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the windows user itself is not a local admin user, then the certificate is installed under the certificate store of the local admin user whose credential is used when prompted for UAC. I would suggest either to use the local admin user or add the windows user to the local admin group.

Hi hslai,

Thank you. You are right.

So, if customer do not have any CA / PKI setup,I presume that ISE as a CA can’t be used as an alternative for issuing client certificates because company controlled machines where user normally do not have admin right to the machine. Am I right ?

ISE internal CA is to be used for our BYOD automated process for machines where users have rights to install certs otherwise you need an way to automate