cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change MnT Role

masyamad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When I swap MnT primary/secondary in 2 nodes deployment, usually use role dropdown in deployment nodes menu as follows.

図1.png

But I notice the operation is not documented in administration guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_24/b_ise_admin_guide_24_new_chapter_011.html#ID95

The guide introduce "To convert the existing secondary node to an active primary node, the administrator must first manually promote the secondary node to a primary role." but doen't mention how to do it. (Is something missed? or documented in other places?)

Now I'm creating ISE operational guide to a specific large customer and want to know official way to change monitoring role from ISE GUI. I'd appreciate if dev team confirm if it's official correct way.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

The way to promote the secondary monitoring node as primary is to use the drop down menu as you showed on your screenshot.
There's no other way I'm aware of.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

Seems like a miss. Please work with TAC to get the document modified.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_24/b_ise_admin_guide_24_new_chapter_011.html#ID95

The guide introduce "To convert the existing secondary node to an active primary node, the administrator must first manually promote the secondary node to a primary role." but doen't mention how to do it. (Is something missed? or documented in other places?)

That is talking about ISE admin nodes and documented at Manually Promote Secondary PAN To Primary.

For MNTs, the failover is always automatic so usually no need to switch the roles.

You may either log a bug yourself or use the feedback link to send your suggestions.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 5.49.23 PM.png

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

The way to promote the secondary monitoring node as primary is to use the drop down menu as you showed on your screenshot.
There's no other way I'm aware of.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thanks for the reply. I also think so, but now no official document seems not to mention about the operation. I need Cisco dev team's confirmation if it's officially supported or not.

Seems like a miss. Please work with TAC to get the document modified.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is talking about ISE admin nodes and documented at Manually Promote Secondary PAN To Primary.

For MNTs, the failover is always automatic so usually no need to switch the roles.

You may either log a bug yourself or use the feedback link to send your suggestions.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 5.49.23 PM.png

Thanks for the comment! Promote to primary MnT is sometimes required for scheduled report exporting. And also sometime TAC suggest swapping primary/secondary for problem isolation or solution.

The bug has been filed with Surendra approval but your comment is also appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: