Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the hostname on ISE

__Beth__
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone successfully changed the hostname on an ISE 2.1.0.474 Standalone installation?  We looked at doing this awhile back and was basically told it was extremely difficult to do.  We are in need of changing it due to a certificate issue.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beth

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not sure why TAC commented so. I've not had much problem with hostname changes for a standalone ISE. Please note that we would need to re-generate the internal CA certificate chain after the hostname change for the ISE internal CA to continue issuing certificates.

If you run into any problem, please let us know so we can track it down.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

gbekmezi-DD
Level 5
Level 5

Did you try and have a problem? Make sure you backup first.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-1/cli_ref_guide/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_21/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_21_chapter_011.html#ID-1364-00000428

Warning: I either dictated this to my device, or typed it with my thumbs. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are updating "hostname" only, what George provided is a good option. I've done it a couple of times.

If you are updating more than "hostname", then try "reset-config", which is added in ISE 2.0 to reset network and time settings.

Either way, I would also suggest to reload the ISE node once the changes are done.

__Beth__
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both.  The reason I ask is when we looked at doing this in the past, I contacted TAC and their response was “Unfortunately, changing the hostname on ISE is a Herculean task.” 

I will definitely do a backup before attempting any changes.  

I am not sure why TAC commented so. I've not had much problem with hostname changes for a standalone ISE. Please note that we would need to re-generate the internal CA certificate chain after the hostname change for the ISE internal CA to continue issuing certificates.

If you run into any problem, please let us know so we can track it down.

adrianbcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Can this be achieved by entering hostname NEWHOSTNAME at global config mode on the ISE, I believe it works on ISE1.2.

Regards.