Views
Helpful
Replies

CHAP/MD5 support on ISE

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

We are trying to authenticate Huawei to ISE using radius and device authentication.

It seems Huawei used CHAP/MD5 and not the usual PAP-ASCII like Cisco and Juniper.

Is this method supported by ISE as we are seeing the below error and we have enabled all auth types?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I spoke with Utkarsh and to clarify the scenario is using CHAP/MD5 for TACACS+ Device Administration and not RADIUS-based MAB authentication.

They are trying to use CHAP/MD5 with RADIUS as a workaround for the lack of TACACS+ support.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you go into ISE > Policy > Policy Elements > Results > Authentication > Allowed Protocols you can see the list of all available protocols that you may choose from.

Please try CHAP and see it works for you.

Also please note the limited set of of Identity Stores that you may use it with in the ISE 2.3 Administrators Guide on page 329:

Please let us know if you're successful!

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks Thomas, We have enabled everyone of them but its not working.

I wonder if CHAP/MD5 is different than CHAP.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you for that, Utkarsh. Can you tell us which Huawei platform(s) and software versions you're testing with?

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

Below is the output.

>dis ver

Huawei Versatile Routing Platform Software

VRP (R) software, Version 5.130 (S9300 V200R003C00SPC500)

Copyright (C) 2000-2013 HUAWEI TECH CO., LTD

Quidway S9303 Terabit Routing Switch uptime is 90 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours, 16 minute

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are there no other protocol options for MAB with Huawei?

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is to authenticate users logging into Huawei for device administration.

I've asked the customer to look for other protocols.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I spoke with Utkarsh and to clarify the scenario is using CHAP/MD5 for TACACS+ Device Administration and not RADIUS-based MAB authentication.

They are trying to use CHAP/MD5 with RADIUS as a workaround for the lack of TACACS+ support.

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

The customer made some changes on their test switch and are now using PAP-ASCII which is working.

Not sure if they are willing to make that change in all of their Huawei switches.

I am not sure if Huawei lacks Tacacs+ but the reason why they are sticking to radius is because they don't want to make major changes in their environment as they are currently on Freeradius and only want to switch the IP to ISE.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: