Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco guest access session timeout

jthombs1016
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

Is it possible adjust session timeout for Guest user  authentication  so the guest only have to authentication  every 24 Hours ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul
Level 10
Level 10

The session timeout won't help you.  You should be using the identity group purge process to dictate how often the guests have to authenticate to the portal.  Your guest endpoints are mapped to an identity group which is allowed to have Internet access.  How often you purge that identity group is how often the guest will have to see the portal.

You can also do rules based on last AUP acceptance times as well, but the endpoint purge process is the cleanest way to do the guest setup in my opinion.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paul
Level 10
Level 10

The session timeout won't help you.  You should be using the identity group purge process to dictate how often the guests have to authenticate to the portal.  Your guest endpoints are mapped to an identity group which is allowed to have Internet access.  How often you purge that identity group is how often the guest will have to see the portal.

You can also do rules based on last AUP acceptance times as well, but the endpoint purge process is the cleanest way to do the guest setup in my opinion.

What Paul says is true but only if you are using the Endpoint Identity Group as an Authorization rule (the so-called "Remember Me" feature).  You can avoid the Endpoint Identity Group entirely and rely rather on the status of the Guest Flow attribute.  This is set to true after a successful Web Auth and remains so as long as the session is alive.  Namely, if you set the Session-Timeout to 24 hours, then the user will not see the portal again.  After 24 hours the Accounting stop from the NAS will terminate the session, and hence set Guest Flow to False.  The authorization policy will redirect the user to the portal.

@Arne Bier wrote:

What Paul says is true but only if you are using the Endpoint Identity Group as an Authorization rule (the so-called "Remember Me" feature).  You can avoid the Endpoint Identity Group entirely and rely rather on the status of the Guest Flow attribute.  This is set to true after a successful Web Auth and remains so as long as the session is alive.  Namely, if you set the Session-Timeout to 24 hours, then the user will not see the portal again.  After 24 hours the Accounting stop from the NAS will terminate the session, and hence set Guest Flow to False.  The authorization policy will redirect the user to the portal.

Where do I set the session-timeout to 24 hours?

Please look at the prescriptive guest guide it goes over these options

Guest remember me feature talks about the sleeping client

http://cs.co/ise-guest

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/wlan_timeouts.html