Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE + Cisco Meraki Vlan override limitations

Niels Marien
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

We are installing a new WIFI infrastructure for a test site. In total 80 other sites needs to be done.

The client has chosen Cisco Meraki as their new wireless infrastructure. (MR 42)

There is also an upgraded ISE to version 2.1.6. This server will be used to authenticate all SSID’s.

The Dot1x SSID will be used for a lot of different devices. Laptop, phones, BYOD, Guest (PEAP with guest accounts)

ISE will need to override the correct vlan’s.

Meraki does support vlan override but only with vlan ID. (no vlan name is possible confirmed by local Cisco Meraki person)

The problem is that all the sites are not standardized meaning guest vlan is different for each site.

So per site we will have around 8 rules in ISE multiplied by 80 sites is many... many rules in ISE.

Maybe not a software limitation it’s not scalable and it is easy to make mistakes also will be a lot of extra work.

I tried to create a workaround what is not working. (therefore I am posting this)

Under network devices groups in ISE, I created special network groups called:

GUEST VLAN ID

CORP VLAN ID

BYOD VLAN ID

network devices groups.jpg

Under each network device I placed the correct VLAN ID as the Name.

I created a custom authorization profiles returning the name of the VLAN ID group but is not working.  :S

AGC_VLAN_GUEST.JPG

In the packet captures there is no tunnel- private-group[81] when doing this.

What I’m thinking that ISE returns the full path example: "GUEST VLAN ID#54" and should only (to get it working) only return 54.

I created a similar workaround already with AD attribute and that’s working.

Could this be checked, if this is possible in anyway?

This could change 640 to 8 rules what would be great for me to implement and for the client to manage.

Also 8 rules are easily recreated (still not possible re-import ISE rules) and possible to import and export devices and device groups

Kr

Niels

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So the likely culprit is that the value for NDGs is not the "end value" in the string, but the entire path such as "ALL Guest VLAN ID#10", not simply the value "10".  The attribute is not of the valid type and would become null.  

Another way to achieve result with similar logic is to simply match on NDG in Authorization Policy Rule condition such as...

IF DEVICE:Guest_VLAN_ID      Equals      "All Guest VLAN ID#10"     THEN permissions = VLAN 10

You may still end up with additional AuthZ rules, but you will reduce list to the subset of unique NDGs which map to common VLAN schemes.

Additionally, you can use Network Conditions to match a group of Network Devices.

/Craig

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ognyan.totev
Level 5
Level 5

This is what u need in ise new authorization profile:

In vlan use your ID of VLAN it support names or ID

Hi Ognyan,

I tried to explain above why it's not a workable solution.

Meraki doesn't support names and ID are not the same on each site. what means to many rules...

Kr

Niels

I never worked with meraki ,but how you create vlan there?Show us some switch config:like in cisco :show vlan summary or show vlan data. I dont get how are creted there if no names or tagging.

So the likely culprit is that the value for NDGs is not the "end value" in the string, but the entire path such as "ALL Guest VLAN ID#10", not simply the value "10".  The attribute is not of the valid type and would become null.  

Another way to achieve result with similar logic is to simply match on NDG in Authorization Policy Rule condition such as...

IF DEVICE:Guest_VLAN_ID      Equals      "All Guest VLAN ID#10"     THEN permissions = VLAN 10

You may still end up with additional AuthZ rules, but you will reduce list to the subset of unique NDGs which map to common VLAN schemes.

Additionally, you can use Network Conditions to match a group of Network Devices.

/Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the information.

That confirms why it's not working. For the workaround you are suggesting can be possible but don't think it will be manageable for the client. (meaning that all rules will be mixed together)

What I think that would be better is to have policy set rules based on the location.

device location equals ... =>( then go to Authentication rules and authorization rules)

A bit disappointing that ISE can't work with dynamic attribute / manipulate them. I think it's quit easily done in a "freeradius" server.

Hope that Meraki supports vlan name override soon. (making a wish...)

For the moment I think we will need to stop deploying Meraki.

Kr

Niels

Certainly you can organize based on NDGs and this is common practice.

ISE does work with dynamic attributes today.  The specific issue/limitation you are dealing with is the actual value you are trying to assign dynamically.  Be sure to submit enhancement request to ISE PM (or to Cisco account team to submit to ISE PM) to handle specific scenarios.  There is more than one way this could be achieved, but having details use cases and impact would help with prioritization.

Regards,

Craig

Hi Niels, Did you find any workaround for this to reduce the number of policies

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: