Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE config backup stuck

bmak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am trying to take a configuration back-up on my Primary Admin Node.

I see that the backup generation is stuck on 10%, it has been this way for about 5 days now.

The ise node is still operating without any issues. 

I have tried to stop the backup, but nothing happens when I click on the stop button.

ise error.PNG

Any ideas on how I can terminate this backup.

I have also checked my repository which the backup is to be stored to, but I do not see the file in the repository.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Colby LeMaire
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will have to stop and restart the ISE services.  And the process for backups is supposed to export table information and other stuff to the local filesystem on ISE.  Once all the configuration is exported, ISE will then do a TAR on the files to compress it all into one backup file.  Then ISE will connect to the repository and transfer the file.  That transfer is usually at somewhere around 70% of the process so it seems as though ISE got stuck in the early stages of exporting the information locally.  In summary, the issue doesn't appear to be with your repository.

Once you restart the services to clear that, try to do a configuration backup from the CLI so you can see what is actually happening and where it gets stuck, IF it happens again.  It is possible that it works on the CLI but not in the GUI.  If that is the case, try another browser.  If it still has an issue, open a TAC case.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Colby LeMaire
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will have to stop and restart the ISE services.  And the process for backups is supposed to export table information and other stuff to the local filesystem on ISE.  Once all the configuration is exported, ISE will then do a TAR on the files to compress it all into one backup file.  Then ISE will connect to the repository and transfer the file.  That transfer is usually at somewhere around 70% of the process so it seems as though ISE got stuck in the early stages of exporting the information locally.  In summary, the issue doesn't appear to be with your repository.

Once you restart the services to clear that, try to do a configuration backup from the CLI so you can see what is actually happening and where it gets stuck, IF it happens again.  It is possible that it works on the CLI but not in the GUI.  If that is the case, try another browser.  If it still has an issue, open a TAC case.

my issue was that my operational data backup locked out due to the fact that the repository was no longer available in the file server used as repository.  Stopping the ISE services didn't make a difference.  what worked for me was shutting down the ISE PAN and rebooting  it.  

thomas.pflaum
Level 1
Level 1

I have similar problems. Backup stucks sometimes at 10%. I have already opened TAC Case, but no solution given. What i got as information if backups stucks at 10 % it has nothing to do with the repository.

Are you using virtuell appliances or physical ones? TAC told me that it appears more or less only on virtuell ones.

The Backup Job could be canceld via CLI. "application configure ise" -> [24]Force Backup Cancellation