Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch administration through radius using ISE

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

To facilitate switch administration using ISE as radius server, I have configured my ISE (v2.4) with the policy set as below.

1) Condition - Radius: Service-Type Equals NAS Prompt

2) Allowed protocols: PAP

3)also configured the necessary authentication and authorization policy.

The above works in terms of administration for my cisco WLC but could not work for my cisco switches.

When i check my ISE logs to verify my admin access for switches via ssh, i notice my attempts to access the switches does not hit the ISE policy set i created, instead it goes to the last default policy set. The endpoint indicated in ise log also reflect the ip address of my client pc attempting ssh to the switch.

I have also added the following for my cisco switches but it fail to work. 

1)aaa authentication login default group ISEGRP local

2)aaa authorization exec default group ISEGRP local if-authenticated

"ISEGRP" is defined correctly as my 802.1x config on the switch works for 802.1x for user pc connection against ISE.

Please advise. TIA!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @donnie 

AirOS and IOS send different RADIUS Attributes during a device authentication - see below what I have configured in ISE:

comm03.PNG

For IOS you then return the Cisco AV Pair to assign level 0-15 - cisco-avpair= "shell:priv-lvl=15" etc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
IMO I would recommend looking into using either Radius or Tacacs+ for device access. Note that Radius encrypts only the password in the request packet, and T+ encrypts the entire body in the packet. PAP is clear text so obviously less secure.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @donnie 

AirOS and IOS send different RADIUS Attributes during a device authentication - see below what I have configured in ISE:

comm03.PNG

For IOS you then return the Cisco AV Pair to assign level 0-15 - cisco-avpair= "shell:priv-lvl=15" etc.

Hi Arne,

Thank you very much. Your suggestion works.

I will fine tune my authorization policy to segregate between user and full priviledge.