cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I change the IP of ISE if it's the secondary in a group?

Andrew White
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We have 2 x Cisco ISE virtual appliances, 1 is in our local VMware hypervisor and the other in our remote datacenter which acts as the standby.

We have a new datacenter and I need to move the secondary ISE appliance there so it will have a new IP.  I just don't know the steps involved once's I've moved it over.

On ISE I can see in Admin > Deployment there 2 are there in a group but you can't edit it etc.

Any steps would be great, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah, it's a little overkill but would of course still work.

Eddie wrote a great guide on how to handle this though the ADE-OS command "reset-config", not to be confused with the "application reset-config ise" command which wipes the node config.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-blogs/reset-ise-host-os-config-with-a-single-cli/ba-p/3660180

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You will need to change the IP via CLI access. Very similar as to how you would configure an SVI on a L3 switch. Good luck & HTH!

Thanks that’s sounds simple, so I just shut down the ISE VM and vMotion to the new site, turn on and change the IP, mask and GW and job done? Then both will sync with each other?

Yes. You can always re-sync the nodes via your PAN admin GUI after performing the changes. Note that when the ISE nodes are running it is in your best interest to not use vMotion and/or snapshots. Good luck & HTH!

So it's best to shutdown the secondary and then move and turn on and change the IP info via CLI?

Exactly where is the re-sync location in the GUI I'm struggling to locate this?

Thanks

To re-sync: Administration->System->Deployment->Deployment Nodes->Syncup

Do not do what you've been told so far. There is a right way to do this: step #1: De-register the Secondary node from the cluster in the UI, step #2: change the IP address of the node, this will force ISE application service to restart, step #3: perform "application reset-config ise" step #4: join the ISE back into the cluster. This method works 100% of the time and SUPPORT by Cisco TAC.

@networke networke wrote:
Do not do what you've been told so far. There is a right way to do this: step #1: De-register the Secondary node from the cluster in the UI, step #2: change the IP address of the node, this will force ISE application service to restart, step #3: perform "application reset-config ise" step #4: join the ISE back into the cluster. This method works 100% of the time and SUPPORT by Cisco TAC.

Doesn't this depend on the type of setup? if this is a standalone HA setup (PAN/PSN/MNT) on same box then wouldn't you recommend just building a new box from scratch and adding it to the primary? Or even if its PAN or MNT?

What you're saying is fine for a PSN only.

Yeah, it's a little overkill but would of course still work.

Eddie wrote a great guide on how to handle this though the ADE-OS command "reset-config", not to be confused with the "application reset-config ise" command which wipes the node config.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-blogs/reset-ise-host-os-config-with-a-single-cli/ba-p/3660180