Views
Helpful
Replies

How to distinguish between a serive not running and software not avialable

rajatsha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

While checking for posture requirement there  are two checks in customer environment

1) To make sure that a software is currently running and if not we need to enable it as remediation (which was easy by checking the service condition and then running the launch program remediation, if required)

2) To make sure that the software is available if not allow the software to be downloaded and installed on the end-user system.

Now how can we tell whether a software is available or not (service condition only tells whether the service is running or not running)

How do we differentiate between service not running and service not available.

Also as we are using Anyconenct Posture stealth mode, is there a way I can get this software installed as remediation without customer interaction. Obviously, I will be checking with customer local IT team to see if this can be done using some script.

In case that kind of script is available can we achieve the automation using the remediation options on ISE.

Regards,

Rajat Sharma

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Application Conditions may check

Application State 

(Available when you select Application as the Check By option) Choose one of the following:

•   Installed—Check the option to find if clients have malicious applications installed in their systems. If a malicious application is found, the remediation action is triggered. 
  •   Running—Check the option to check if an application is running on an endpoint. 

As you mentioned, service conditions can tell only services running or not but not if not installed at all. It's not clear though why it important to tell them apart. Perhaps, you may check the existence of the binaries, registry settings, etc.

As to silent install of a software, it depends on its install options available. If done via MS Windows Installer, then /qn sets the install without a UI, per Windows Installer Command Options. It's best to consult with the software vendors.

Thank you for your response. A quick question if I get the silent installer from the Telstra IT team for this software. Can we use it as remediation option to push it from ISE as the “launch program remediation” to launch in background, if possible.

Rajat

Sent from my iPhone

I do not see why not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: