Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.0 License usage increase

Hi All,

I was verifying an ISE installation of one of our customers (2 nodes and about 60 WLCs) and noticed that on the majority of the WLCs accounting was not configured.

I then configured accounting for a large portion of the WLCs and a few days later the base license usage increased dramatically (from 700 to 1200 +).

ISE is running version 2.0 patch 3.

I'm now wondering how this comes and have a few specific questions I would lilke to check.

- A license should be freed up when "Accounting stop" is received form the NAD.

When does the WLC send this this accounting stop?

What if a client just shuts down his laptop, the pc goes into sleep or he just leaves coverage area?

I noticed on a few WLCs that session timeout was disabled on the WLAN, I enabled it, does this help in regard with accounting stop?

- Where in ISE can I check if a radius accounting Stop is received or not received for a specific client?

- Is there an option to find the devices that are using a license but are no longer connected to a NAD?

- Is there an easy way to remove them from ISE without having to remove each client MAC address individually?

Looking forward for your answers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bram,

The reason you are seeing the increase in license usage is because accounting information was not properly being sent to ISE.  A base license is consumed for each session as long as it is active on the network.  An accounting stop message is sent from the network access device (WLC in your case) when the session for the endpoint expires.  Enabling session timeout will help to eliminate any stale sessions per the use cases you described.  If you would like to see the started, active, and terminated sessions in ISE, go to the RADIUS live log and click on sessions in the upper right.

Regards,

-Tim

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bram,

The reason you are seeing the increase in license usage is because accounting information was not properly being sent to ISE.  A base license is consumed for each session as long as it is active on the network.  An accounting stop message is sent from the network access device (WLC in your case) when the session for the endpoint expires.  Enabling session timeout will help to eliminate any stale sessions per the use cases you described.  If you would like to see the started, active, and terminated sessions in ISE, go to the RADIUS live log and click on sessions in the upper right.

Regards,

-Tim