Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.3 Post Upgrade Primary Admin Promote

gmacminn000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Following on from a successful upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3, my admin nodes are back to front and there does not seem to be any option to promote the secondary back into the primary role.

Is this still done via the GUI or is it a CLI option?

Thanks,

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hey Gary

what do you see when you log into the Secondary PAN?

You should see the following to manually switch over

There is no CLI command as far as I know (it would be nice though)

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hey Gary

what do you see when you log into the Secondary PAN?

You should see the following to manually switch over

There is no CLI command as far as I know (it would be nice though)

Hi Arne,

I’m seeing:

No button for the promote.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary MacMinn

Principal Network Engineer | Network, Citrix, Infrastructure Security & Monitoring (NCIS:M) Team

Information Services Directorate | Department of Housing and Public Works

Level 14 | 41 George Street, Brisbane 4000

Phone: 07 3514 3480 | Mobile: 0402 639 616 | E-Mail: Gary.MacMinn@hpw.qld.gov.au<mailto:Gary.MacMinn@hpw.qld.gov.au>

www.hpw.qld.gov.au<http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/>

Customers first | Ideas into action | Unleash potential | Be courageous | Empower people | Healthy and safe workforce

Sorry, but I have to ask, are you sure you're on the Secondary (i.e. the one that is your preferred PRIMARY PAN, but since the upgrade was done, is now your Secondary PAN) ? 

You only get the promotion button when the PAN is in Secondary status.

These are the nodes in the deployment.

The earlier screen shot was from ise10.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary MacMinn

Principal Network Engineer | Network, Citrix, Infrastructure Security & Monitoring (NCIS:M) Team

Phone: 07 3514 3480 | Mobile: 0402 639 616 | E-Mail: Gary.MacMinn@hpw.qld.gov.au<mailto:Gary.MacMinn@hpw.qld.gov.au>

Customers first | Ideas into action | Unleash potential | Be courageous | Empower people | Healthy and safe workforce

I have never seen a deployment where there is one Node that is PAN/MnT and then two separate PAN and MnT nodes. 

Did you mean to create a deployment of

2 x PAN

2 x MnT

?

So in your configuration I don't know whether that is a problem (possibly not) but generally you should see the Promote button on the node that is eligible for promotion.

And I don't have a 2.3 deployment to verify this for you.  My 2.2p2 with 2 x PAN and 2 x MnT is playing ball.

Hi Arne,

Deployment was 2 x admin, 1 x mon and 2 x Policy. I removed the monitoring secondary off ise11 to simplify it a bit but still no promote button on ise10.

Gary

Gary MacMinn

NO BUTTON shows up on the left side for either primary or secondary

Fresh 2.2 deployment with nothing configured expect the intial configuration and posture of each member (4 nodes).  Upgraded to 2.3, Now unable to promote secondary node to its former position of primary node, secondary monitor.

Anyone have a workaround this?

The primary node, with the administration option isgrayed out...

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please engage Cisco TAC on this.

already have.

Well, incase anyone still looking, the functionality to promote a node has now moved to the actual node itself.

go to the node that you want to promote (secondary) web gui.

You will see the option listed there now.

ise2.3 promotenode.png

Actually, it has been like that for a long time, if not from ISE 1.0.