cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 : Cleaning unused Tacacs identities accounts

gillessapene
Level 1
Level 1

We use the Cisco ACS (and now ISE) Tacacs server for more than 12 years. We have too many tacacs accounts. I am sure that a lot of them are no more used. I would like to get the list of the accounts (identities) which have not been used for a long time. I mean the date when the account has been used to authenticate against a device.

It seems that there is nothing natively and that the only way would be to use a REST API script.

I have looked at the "External RESTful Services (ERS) Online SDK"./API Documentation/Internal User.

There is a way to get an identity, but I have not found how to get the "last used date" parameter.

Has someone already worked on this ?

I don't want to use any expiration date/purge. I just need the list and I will then ask for confirmation before deleting any identity.

Thanks

Gilles

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE ERS API is for ISE configurations. Assuming you are using ISE Internal users, which are part of ISE configurations, but the authentication attempts using them are part of ISE operational data, which by default kept for 3 months only.

If you are using this default kept duration, then you may run a report on Device Administration > TACACS Authentication for the last 3 months, export the results into CSV and use Excel or similar tool to find out what user accounts are used in that period.

There is no API to interact with ISE operational data at present.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE ERS API is for ISE configurations. Assuming you are using ISE Internal users, which are part of ISE configurations, but the authentication attempts using them are part of ISE operational data, which by default kept for 3 months only.

If you are using this default kept duration, then you may run a report on Device Administration > TACACS Authentication for the last 3 months, export the results into CSV and use Excel or similar tool to find out what user accounts are used in that period.

There is no API to interact with ISE operational data at present.

May I ask you where are configured the 3 months of historic data that you can get in the report?.

When I run a report , the maximum that I can set is 30 days.

reports2.JPG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: